Chapter 23

"Granger, Weasley. Dumbledore wants to see you in his office."

The four of us look up from our books in our place in the library since we have been trying to help Harry figure out a way to breathe underwater for an hour.

Hermione begins to argue, "Professor, we have to help Harry-"

Professor Moody raises his hand to stop her "Now," he says firmly. She rushes out immediately, not wanting to keep Dumbledore waiting, followed by Ron moving at a much slower pace.

"Longbottom!" He calls out for Neville who happened to be passing by our row. Neville's eyes widen, but he shuffles over. Professor Moody exits and leaves us be after telling Neville to help as well.

Harry sighs out in frustration and places his forehead down on his desk in defeat. "This is hopeless. How am I supposed to breathe underwater for an hour?"

"Bubble charm?" I suggest nonchalantly.

He scoffs at my suggestion, "As if. That is far too advanced for me. This is a lot, and I should just give up now."

"Hey don't say that. I'm here and will do everything I can to help." I offer an encouraging smile and place my hand gently over his to reassure him. He finally lifts his head up, thanks me and continues reading his book to try and find something. 

"Have you ever heard of Gillyweed?" 

Harry and I exchange a curious glance at Neville's question before shaking our heads. He waves for us to follow him all the way to the Black Lake. Neville searches the water for a while as Harry and I silently sit on the shore, unsure of what to do. 

"Found it!" Neville triumphantly pulls out a slimy piece of gillyweed, making Harry gulp at the look of it.

I look over at a nervous Harry, "Go get some rest before the task." The stress hitting him hard, Harry nods his head sleepily and drags his feet all the way back to the castle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Five hours pass before the grounds are buzzing with excitement and wonder. I walk by myself at first back towards the lake. As I walk, I hear Draco say that he could do better than Potter at whatever the task is. 

I roll my eyes as I turn around to, "How? Your only defense is that you are going to tell your father when someone does something that you don't like."

People around us overhear this and snicker at my response as Draco's smirk falters.

I continue on my way and spot Fred and George taking bets for the task. George's eyes light up when he sees me coming his way while Fred looks away in discontent. 

I reach into my pocket for a sickle, "Cedric."

Their eyebrows raise as George responds, "Really? Most people put their money on Krum."

"I just have a feeling that pretty boy will surprise us this round again."

George gaps in an offensive way, "You think he's pretty?"

I let out a laugh and close the gap between us by pressing my lips to his. The kiss is brief since I pull away a moment later to say, "Maybe." I send a wink his way before leaving an uncomfortable Fred behind. 

I end up on the platform that the Champions are one yet I can't spot Ron and Hermione anywhere. Harry nervously looks around in search of his friends and makes eye contact with me, so I offer him a thumbs up. He turns back towards Professor Moody and Neville.