9. Origin of They

Before Pearl served Pink Diamond...

"Move, you little Pearl! Go on ahead, carry my stuff! You'll need to get there before me and prepare my mini palanquin!"
A tiny Agate barked at Pearl as she carried a stone-weighing baggage on her shoulders, struggling. What's more, Agate even shocked Pearl now and then with an electric whip. Pearl flinched and stumbled, but didn't fall, as she heavily reached the stairs leading up to the palanquin, panting.
"Master, I have arrived..."
"More! Carry more for me!"
"But this is the final stairwell. The rest would have to be carried by those Amethysts over there..."
"I want you to do it for me, Pearl!!"
At her Agate's adamant command, Pearl bowed her head and started lifting the baggage. Her light torso swayed slightly, but soon she regained her balance, when Agate suddenly whipped her ankles.
"Ah!"
This time, Pearl could not stand. As she tripped on the first staircase, Agate's entire baggage flew off Pearl's hands, leaving the contained items scattered across the marble station platform. Agate gladly screeched in anger, kicking Pearl's gaunt torso.
"Hey, you messed up my stuff! What're you going to do to make up? Huh? You made a mistake, you stupid Pearl!"
Agate's already-pink cheeks burned up in red by excitement and twisted in delight. Pearl groaned in pain as she tried to stand up, right before another kick settled in her stomach. Right then and there, everything stopped, and a soft, authoritative voice echoed through the enormous hall station platform.
"What is this, Agate?"
A soft pink hair and an even more pink skin, it was Pink Diamond. Agate's court's absolute authority, a newly emerged Diamond—everyone obeyed her commands because of her hierarchy, and Agate was not an exception. She considered herself petty in front of Pink Diamond, and so she obeyed her words obediently. When Agate was staring at her Diamond baffled, Pink Diamond spoke again.
"I ask, what were you doing—Agate?"
"Oh! My Diamond. My deepest apologies. I was just punishing this indolent Pearl for scattering my belongings across the floor, and not taking her job seriously."
"Did she really?"
Pink Diamond's eyes slowly moved onto Pearl, and their eyes met for the first time. At this time, Pearl was sick of being treated like an object and having to deal with her master's unreasonable requests—so she stared rebelliously right back at Pink Diamond's curious eyes. Facing her rebellious look, Pink Diamond became immediately very surprised and oddly delighted, and turned to speak at Agate:
"Agate, would you give me your Pearl?"
"Huh?"
Agate and Pearl were shocked. There were no instances where any Diamond had requested to take a Pearl from another gem. Partly because those Pearls were not good enough, and partly because they were not made for Diamonds. However, if a Diamond really wanted someone else's Pearl, there was no gem that would refuse her request. And Agate was no exception.
"Of course, my Diamond. But...may I ask you the reason for your request?"
"Hmm...I just really liked her rebellious look!"
Saying so, Pink Diamond let out a childish laugh, and carried Pearl away like a small doll.

--

"Just stand there while I finish up my additional paperwork. My servants never do their job seriously, and I always have to make up for them. What a shame..."

Even forgetting to respond to her words, Pearl just silently stared at Pink Diamond's fluffy hair being tossed around everywhere as she moved to and fro her diamond desk. She looked unusually lively for a high-ranking diamond--she looked like a...child. A child who's bored but has to do her homework.

"Why."

"Hm?"

"Why did you bring me here? I can't do anything for you. I'm...defective, you know."

"What? You are? I didn't even notice!"

Pearl was struck. What on Homeworld did she mean by 'she did not even notice?' She must've.

"Don't you see? I am rebellious! I had hateful thoughts toward my former master, Agate! You should be knowing this already. Pearls aren't supposed to rebel; they're only supposed to take orders from their masters!"