2. A Midnight Outlet (Short Story)

A quiet moon shone brightly as Pearl treaded on the fine silvery sand. The beachside being completely silent, Pearl allowed herself to sigh contentedly, as she could finally return to her past reflections. Glorious days, she thought. Clanking swords and the clamoring crowd rebelled against the great Diamond authority. Gazing on the navy-saturated horizon, she smiled bitterly.

"Rose, I really miss you."

Kneeling down on the smooth sand, Pearl pulled out a hologram of Rose that scattered a shimmering light on the beach. A night wind like a secret whisper rustled Pearl's pinkish hair, but Rose's figure did not seem to budge at all. Pearl looked up.

"Steven's fast asleep in the house; I checked before I came out. I'm taking a good care of your son, Rose."

Half expectant, Pearl stared at Rose's generous expression, but Her lips never moved for a reply. Pearl's smile darkened a little as she continued her soliloquy.

"Steven's grown a lot. You know, I sometimes think that he really is similar to you. Sometimes, he even sounds like you."

Slowly, tears pooled in Pearl's celestial blue eyes as she suddenly lashed out her emotions violently, shaking and stuttering slightly.

"But, I know you're not real. ...Why did you have to leave?! I, I miss you so much...I just can't...my purpose, your status, nothing matters anymore...and I really wanted to...serve you until the very end."

A few hiccups interrupted her sentences, and when she calmed herself down a bit and opened her mouth to speak again, her hands jumped up to block out her words entirely. Her pupils widened with surprise, but soon returned to normal with realization, acceptance, and sorrow. She carefully removed her hands and whispered in a quite nonchalant tone some extremely plaintive words:

"I cannot even say your real name. How tragic..."

After sitting on the silent beach for a few more moments, she rose, dusted the sand off her clothes, and left quietly.