Story Time

Isaac's POV

Whie sitting on the plane with Hazel, I asked her if I could read Gus' version of After An Imperial Affliction. Of course, because she knew how close Gus and I had been and that his death was just as hard for me as it was for her, she agreed. She handed me all the folded papers, which she kept in her carry on bag so she would never lose them.

After An Imperial Affliction:

-----Anna's Mothers POV-----

*The day of Anna's Funeral* "She's gone. She's gone and she is never coming back. How? Why? What did she ever do to deserve this? Even though her fate was inevitable I thought we had months, maybe years, not days." I cried onto my boyfriend's (the Dutch Tulip Man) shoulder. He comforted me with a strong embrace and a promise to never leave me, but would that ever fill the hole in my heart left by my poor sweet Anna? I whispered "I love you". He replied he loved me too, not realizing that I meant my I love you was for Anna, who I would never see smile or laugh or even cry again. Anna, why Anna?  After saying my goodbyes, I silently watched as she was buried with a handful of red tulips, wearing a blue dress. She hated wearing black as it reminded her of how short a time she had with us. Her headstone read simply "For all the ships that never sailed."

The funeral service was over, and Anna's body was lying in a casket, being buried by piles of dirt, the amount of contact between my daughter and I lessening with each mound of dirt, something becoming smaller as another became larger. The Dutchman gave my shoulder a tentative squeeze, and then looked at me with a reserved smile.
"Time," he said. "Time will heal this."
"I hope you're right."
He guided me toward his car, and I got in then sat down, unmoving. Reaching over me, he buckled my seatbealt and I gave a miniscule nod in return. My mind, thoughts, and entire being were elsewhere; I thought about how I would never see my daughter again, only through pictures and flashes of memories, but knew that she would always be my daughter, and that death cannot get in the way of relationships. Just as my dead mother is still my mother and the Dutch Tulip Man's deceased family is still his family, Anna, my daughter, is still my daughter. Dead or alive.

It has been a week since my sweet Anna's funeral. I visit her everyday. As of now, the Dutch Tulip man could not have been more wrong. Nothing- nothing will ever heal my hurt for I have lost the one most important to me. Sisyphus was adopted today by Christine, one of Anna's pre-cancer friends. I couldn't bear to see him without thinking of Anna. He seemed happy in his new home. The Dutch Tulip Man returned from work ten minutes ago. We are going out for a picnic, then we are going to see Anna and plant some orange tulips over her gravesite. I just miss her so much!

In a way, I suppose the Dutch Tulip Man was right. It's been four months since Anna has passed, and each day it gets the tiniest bit easier to deal with the concept of death, more specifically her death. I've decided to finally go out and truly enjoy myself for the first time in a long time; the Dutchman has booked us reservations at an exceptionally fancy restaurant. I've decided to wear a dark red dress paired with black stilettos, and silver dangling earrings and dark lipstick that matches my dress. I feel like a new person--better, more confident, less mournful. But I know this sudden feeling will only last for this one night.

We arrive at the restaurant and order our meals. While sipping red wine, we engage in light, easy conversation. Our waiter brings us a bread basket, and after looking up at him to thank him, I then look across the table to see the Dutchman is no longer in his seat, but instead kneeling. In front of me. On one knee.

He takes a deep breath and smiles, pulling a small box out of his pocket. "Will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?"

This is so sudden, yet so perfect. I look into the Dutch Tulip Man's eyes and slowly whisper "Yes." He takes the stunning ring with a beautiful infinity sign made of crystalline blue topazes and slides it onto my finger. The inside of the ring is engraved to say Okay. I start to cry happy tears for the first time since Anna passed. I think life might become okay again after time.