Chapter 7

"So this Dean guy, you like him?" Tony leaned against the glass window.

You joined your hands at the tip of your nose. "I don't know, maybe."

"And he likes you?"

"I don't know, maybe."

"And you are willing to give it a shot with Murderer Supreme?"

'Hell if I knew!' You threw your hands up in exasperation. "I don't know, maybe!"

"Wow. Coherent to a fault." Tony mockingly patted your back.

You swatted his hand away and stood up. Looking Tony over, you felt a surge of emotions inside you. You had met Tony Stark at an MIT alumni meet. Needless to say, he was the one thing that drew you there over and over, the sole reason you made sure to be present every year.

There was also that one night. It was a druken mistake - the fact was established between him and you on the basis of which a decision to move on was mutually taken. However, the butterflies in your stomach were empirical evidence that you had failed and it seemed like Tony had faced the same result. In your defense, he was irresistible. Your hands found their way around his waist and you relaxed against his chest, credit to his fingers tracing random patterns in your hair.

"Just felt like you should know." You sighed, "It's not like we were exclusive. Hell, we weren't even inclusive but we were not...not something." Tony's laugh reverberated in his chest. "It's okay. You're going through your Twilight phase, it will wear off. Mine lasted for about thirteen hours."

"Please don't leave me." Your hold tightened against Tony considerably. His reaction was that of amusement, more than anything. "From 'it's complicated' to 'committed' just like that? Also, kinda squeezing the life out of me there."

"Please." Your voice had dropped down to a weak whisper. Now Tony was concerned. "(Y/N), is everything alright?" He tried to push you away to get a better look at your face but your hold sustained.

"Can we have a moment alone? For real this time?" Dean's voice boomed from the doorway and suddenly Tony knew the cause of your apprehension. He turned around, a protective arm looped around your waist. "I don't know, let's see. (Y/N) asked for some time alone and you followed her all the way across the country. Are you sure you know what alone time means?"

"I'm not playing your games, Stark." Dean strode inside, trying to bypass Tony to you but the man was like a wall. Tony put a single hand on Dean's chest and pushed him a step back as he himself took one ahead. "How awful of you to assume I would play games in the middle of such an intense scenario."

Dean grabbed Tony's hand and threw it off of himself. Iron man was testing his temper. "What is with you?" He pulled at Tony's collar. "That's my girl. My friend. We had a falling out and now I'm trying to fix it. Why won't you let me? Why won't you so much as allow me within a one feet radius of her? Pray tell, how do you figure you fit into this equation?"

"Why won't I let you?" Tony scoffed. He gripped Dean's throat and forced him away from anywhere near his shirt. "Let me ask you this, did you have to hear the tremble in her voice when she called in and asked if she could come over for a few days? Did you have to feel the pain in her eyes when she lied to me about the cuts you gave her? Did you have to see her writhing in pain during the nightmare that you caused? And if you had, would you let her anywhere near yourself?"

Silence reigned the room. Tony warily smiled and released his grip on Dean. "No? I thought so."

More silence. Dean found himself devoid of words. Tony had given his thoughts a new perspective, one he was not yet familiar with. All this time he had been thinking about his forgiveness, his redemption. The fact that you were hurting on account of his actions was swept into the background.

If your slight whimper was not taken into consideration, Tony's voice was the one thing that broke the silence. "Yes." His hand flew up for his earpiece. "Yes, I'll be there, give me a minute. Oh, and send somebody up here, I don't want to leave (Y/N) alone."

Having been finished with the conversation, Tony brought his lips close to your ear. "You okay with being here with him, Sweet Pea? Or do you want me to wait until they send someone up?" He whispered. You mulled it over. How long could you possibly expect to avoid Dean? 'Ideally, a week or so.' You internally smiled at your own wit. Nevertheless, the talk with him was inevitable, Dean had only pushed it a little earlier on the strategised timeline. In response to Tony's question, you merely shook your head.

"If you say so. Take care." Tony kissed the top of your head and did not forget to give Dean a stern look before walking out. The difference in Dean's expression concerning you in contrast to when it concerned other people was astonishing. Right now, he looked so pure, you almost stepped in his direction.

"You didn't leave." Dean's voice was raw. It was obvious he was having trouble voicing his words. Not like you were in a place to judge, you were in the same position. You shook your head for an answer, your shaky breaths doing an incompetent job of keeping you stable. It was time.

There was this thing with Dean where he would want to do something, he would channel his entire energy into wanting to do that but when given the opportunity, he would run away from it like a man escaping a building on fire. "Why didn't you leave!?" He roared. His eyes had glazed over. He raised his hands in front of him, they were trembling.

"Why didn't you leave, (Y/N)? Look at me, I'm a walking, breathing threat. A time bomb. You should not be here. You should not be anywhere near me." He took swaying, unsteady steps towards you. When close enough, Dean collapsed at your feet. Wrapping his arms around your waist, he pressed the side of his face to your stomach. "I almost killed you."

A loud sob escaped your lips. The contact was overwhelming. You dropped down to your knees, coming face to face with Dean. Words were still miles away. You wanted to speak, but the fear would not let you. It was willing you to run away. " Dean... no." A whisper came out.

Another whimper sounded from across the room. Dean remained oblivious to it. You lifted your head to see Sam leaning on the doorframe. "No, I'm only here because the Black Widow told me someone needed to be." He rubbed his eyes. "You guys carry on."

As much as you lamented the fact, Sam's presence gave you strength. He had saved you from Dean once before, he could do it again; not that Dean would try anything in the first place. 'You're being unrealistic.' You assured yourself.

"No. No, no, no. Here's what's gonna happen." Dean slowly lifted his face and placed his hands on either of your cheeks. His eyes were frantic, boring into yours, searching for something to hold on to. "You're gonna tell me what I can do to make this up to you and I'm gonna do anything, any damn thing that you want me to. You have got to forgive me, (Y/N). I can't live like this. I'll even get rid of the mark if that's what you want. Yeah, let's start with that."

"Don't be silly, Dean. You can't do that." You wiped away the tears which had begun their descent sometime during Dean's monologue. "Metatron is still out there. The world needs you." You paused to wipe away your own tears. "You know what? This whole thing has been blown out of proportion. Let's just take a breather, go back to Kansas and live the blissful life we always have."

The corners of Dean's mouth lifted up. "I like the sound of that." He smiled despite his knowledge of your true feelings. He knew you had said what you had to make him feel better, that you were not yet ready. He appreciated the effort nonetheless. "There is something else. Remember when I said I had a confession to make? I've wanted to say this for a really long time now (Y/N). I-"

"What the hell is going on here?" Tony's mouth formulated the phrase on it's own accord when he saw you and Dean in each other's arms, slumped on the floor. "Okay whatever it is, I don't wanna know. I just need (Y/N) for a minute."

Dean kissed your forehead and nodded, letting you know that it was okay to leave and he would be fine. Little did you know, you would not. Not after you heard what Tony had to say. He pulled you into a corner, away from the ears and gave you news which hit you like a bombshell.

"I have to leave."