-sweet flirtation-

-sweet flirtation-

As Remy and Ana headed down the stairs, people at the party turned to whisper and stare at the pair of them. She calmly held her head up and ignored them, not even gratifying them with a look from her. After all, she was better than the rest of them.

"Ana," she heard Jake call from behind her. Ana left Remy's side and went to Jake.

"Hey, what's up?" she asked, smiling up at him.

He frowned, a worried little crease forming in his forehead. "Where were you? I was looking everywhere, and I thought I knew the way around my own house."

She smiled mysteriously. "Oh, Remy and I were just talking," she leaned against the wall.

Jake gave her one last look, not quite buying her half-truth. "Alright, if you say so. Anyways, you don't seem that drunk, so maybe you want to have a couple of shots with me?"

Ana shrugged. "Sure." She trusted Jake enough to not take advantage of her, but certainly not the rest of the Nobilis. "Lead the way," she intoned.

Jake grabbed her hand and took her through the hordes of horny teens from their school. As if on cue, they all parted for him, clearing a path for the pair. Reaching the counter containing all the alcohol, he took a bottle and turned back around, still holding onto Ana's hand. "Let's go upstairs," he whispered in her ear.

Ana smiled gratefully at him, the loud music was starting to make her head hurt, and besides, she wouldn't be able to talk to him with such an environment and all her classmates gossiping in the background. Letting him drag her back upstairs, she dutifully followed him into a spacious room, just across the hallway from Remy's room, where she had been just a few minutes previously.

He sat down on his leather couch, relaxing comfortably. Ana closed the door behind her, muffling the sound of the music downstairs, and cautiously took a few steps into the room. "So, how are you enjoying the party?" Jake asked Ana curiously.

Ana shifted uncomfortably. "It's been pretty fun so far, a bit different from the other one's I've been to so far."

Jake looked at her with an inscrutable expression for a few minutes. "Parties aren't really your thing, are they?" he finally said.

She half-smiled and looked away. "How did you guess?"

"For one thing, I'm actually a very observant person, and I'm also very good at reading people. Like you, actually. To be so good at flirting, you have to be tuned in to other's emotions and thoughts."

"Wow," Ana commented, surprise evident on her features. "I honestly don't think anyone has ever figured out that part of me before."

He shrugged and studied her again. Ana fidgeted under his serious gaze. "Well, you're certainly different from every other student that goes to our school, aren't you?" he offered.

She laughed. "Yes, most definitely."

He continued, "I mean, most girls would have already been kissing up to me or trying to make some move on me, possibly even crying at the thought that they're in my room."

"That's to be expected though, I mean, you are the 'Nobilis' and all," Ana put air quotes around 'Nobilis'.

He grimaced, "I actually hate that term."

Ana looked back at him in surprise. "You hate it? But-"

"We didn't even coin the term; the school did for us," he cut her off.

Ana looked down. "Oh," she started in a small voice, "I always thought that you guys were the ones to call yourselves that."

Jake's warm hand lifted her chin up, forcing her to look at him and his bright blue eyes. "Don't worry, most people think that too," he let go, Ana immediately feeling the loss of the warmth. "Come on, let's have a few drinks," he uncorked the bottle.

Ana nodded, mutely, as he produced two glasses from seemingly nowhere. Pouring a generous amount into each cup, he handed her one. "Thanks," she accepted it.

Taking a small sip, she grimaced at the strong taste. "That's pretty concentrated," she commented, watching Jake from the corner of her eye.

He shrugged. "I drink it occasionally, not always."

"It's good though," Ana finished off her glass quickly.

"Slow down, you'll pass out if you keep going at that rate," he warned as he poured a bit more into her cup.

Ignoring him, she gulped down the rest and sat back, feeling buzzed. "Hey, you okay?" he placed a hand on her shoulder.

Turning around to meet his eyes, she suddenly pulled him closer and kissed him. For a few moments, he didn't respond, but just about as she was going to draw away, he started kissing her back. This kiss was different from the one earlier, it was much more demanding, and Ana could taste the slight saltiness from the whisky he was drinking before.

The emotions flying around in the air around them and her low level of tolerance for alcohol was making Ana's head spin, and when she finally pulled away, she looked into his dark blue eyes, resting her head on his chest, drawing her hands down from his neck and feeling his muscles clench as her slender fingers drew whimsical patterns on his back. "Ana," he groaned, burying his head in her neck.

Reaching up, she laced her hands in his silky soft, golden hair and smiled, kissing his cheek quickly, before curling up into his lap and slowly drifting off to oblivion, but not before feeling him lift her up gently, like she was a fragile item, and placing her on his bed, drawing his satiny sheets over her and tucking her hair behind her ear. "Goodnight, Ana," he whispered against her lips, before kissing her head.

_

A/N: Ana and Jake are the cutest, don't you think?