05 | the offer

WHY WAS EVERY TOWN SHE MOVED TO FILLED WITH MYSTERY? Rory sighed as she read the newspaper Monday morning. Another dead girl, another day in the seemingly peaceful town of Hemlock Grove.

"Eat your breakfast, mi quierda," Giselle Reyes murmured from her seat across from the girl. In her hands, she held a tablet with all the information about the new death.

Rory nodded and shuffled in more spoonfuls of the oatmeal into her mouth. She had definitely gained back the weight she had lost when she was in the worse of her depression. She was slowly recovering, which pleased everyone around her.

Dante set his mug of coffee down and looked at his niece seriously. "I know you had a penchant for exploring the woods when you were in Forks, but I think you shouldn't here. It's not safe."

Rory raised her brow. "There were bears attacking people in Forks. I was fine." And nomad vampires hunting humans. Rory came out completely fine.

"Well, whatever, or whoever, is killing people here, seem to be targeting young women like yourself," Giselle added, "Be it an animal or man, don't take that chance. Your mother entrusted us to protect you."

Rory sighed as they pulled the guilt card. "Fine, fine. I won't go out into the woods. I promise."

Peter Rumancek narrowed his eyes as Rory approached him. He was leaning against the stone wall of a school staircase by himself in the broad daylight of noon.

"What?" Rory glanced around for the reason her friend was staring so hard. She leaned against the wall next to him, using his height to block her from the sun.

"You aren't staying away from me?"

"Uh, why would I?" Rory narrowed her eyes as she spoke with a hushed tone, "Unless you told everyone I hooked up with Roman..."

"No, but I am the number one suspect for the serial killings now," Peter grimaced, crossing his arms. "Everyone else is staring."

Rory looked up to see different groups of high school kids look away from her and Peter, making it obvious they had indeed been staring. "Why? You're just a kid."

"Apparently the town's convinced since I'm a weird hairy, gypsy kid, I must be a werewolf who's killing helpless girls," Peter scoffed.

"But aren't you?"

Peter and Rory stiffened as the tall Godfrey approached them with a smirk. The last time they had seen each other

Her lips pursed tightly as he looked at her with amusement. "Roman."

"Rory." He winked at her while she scowled.

The two looked at each other for a long moment before Peter interrupted with an exasperated sigh. "Okay, we get it. You two hooked up, not a big deal. I'm a suspect for murder!"

"Chill," Roman rolled his eyes while Rory only stiffened up even further. "They won't actually find any evidence to put you away."

Peter shrugged.

"No one seriously believes you're an actual werewolf," Rory said as she eyed Peter up and down scrutinizingly. He was certainly not the typical build she would expect a hypothetical werewolf to possess—maybe if he were taller or broader rather than just having a slightly beyond average amount of hair.