Chapter 10- The End

It was time to go to the court house and hear the final verdict. DeaShaun didn't want to leave the hospital.

"Are you sure your fine?" he asked the sleepy Mark.

Mark laughed, "Dude, I'm fine! You go and find out the thingy and come back and tell me. I'm fine."

He stood up and headed for the door. He turned around and looked at his dying best friend, "I'm fine!" Mark reassured him.

Later at the court house they sat and waited for the jugde. "I went and checked on Mark this morning." He told Emma, Lucas, dante and Julie. "He said he was fine, but he didn't look good." He looked away before they saw the tear start to slide down his face.

Emma pulled him close and kissed the tear. "He'll be fine, DeaShaun. I promise." She hugged him.

He patted her head, "You can't promise that Emma. You can't promise that."

The jugde came in and sat down, he sighed and looked at us all, "I put a lot of time on this case and I have come to a decision. I-" he scanned the jury and the townspeople "- I ruled in favor of DeaShaun Taylor and Emma Brown."

They erupted in appaulse and cheers and hugs. Emma and DeaShaun kissed long and hard as the judge quieted the room.

"Anyone caught doing racist or discrimative acts well face jail time and $250 dollars in bail." he smiled at them, "Now go see your friend."

"You knew?" Dante asked smiling.

He shrugged, "It's a small town, now go."

And they did. They drove to the hospital and ran into Mark's room only to find it empty. "Mark?" Lucas said as he went to the window and opened it.

"Mark?" Juile checked the bathroom.

"Mark?!" Dante hollared.

Emma hugged DeaShaun and shook with coming tears. The doctor came in and looked at them with a grave look. He laid his chart down and gather everyone close. "i am sorry to say, but Mark-" He paused and watched as Dante hugged Lucas and Julie, and Emma and DeaShaun shake, "-I am sad to say that your friend Mark has passed."

Emma wailed out and sank to the ground as DeaShaun hugged her and cried silently. Dante was stomping and yelling. He walked up and punched a hole in the wall."He have to be lying!" He yelled at the doctor.

Julie and Lucas hugged tight together as Julie wailed and Lucas held her tighter. "Please tell us your lying?' He said quietly.

The doctor patted everyone on the shoulder, "You can see him if you want."

The followed him through the halls of dying people and crying love ones. All going through the same feelings as them. As they reached the mourge and saw Mark lieing there lifeless, so many thoughs went through DeaShaun head as he saw his brown skin was lighter and souless. His eyes where sunken and his lips where light pink and non moving.

Emma shook and reached out to touch him. he was cold and his skin was tight. "I only knew him for a short time and I still feel like he was a brother to me." She said in a shakey and fading voice.

Dante patted her, "He was a brother to us all." the doctor permitted them to hug his lifeless body one more time, then they left.

They sat in Emma's drive-way in silence. Never had they ever thought that they'd ever lose a friend like that.Right when they changed the town.This was supposed to be a happy time where they'd race and dance and sing and laugh. Enjoy life as free people, but now they felt like they'd never be free. They lost their friend, they lost the whole meaning of life.

Mark was the picture of happiness, he had a bad life and still chose to smile. He smiled a genuin smile and lived life to the fullet.

DeaShaun walked Emma to her door and shook hands with her father, he thought that since mark could live happily through a bunch off pain then he could face his fear of Emma's Dad. This was just the beginning, he had a lot to make up for. He was gonna live for Mark. He was gonna lie free for Mark. The way that was taken from him.