Chapter Ten

For the next years they focused on the Night Court shutting its doors to other courts. During this time they thrived.

Cassian rose to be the general of all of Rhys's forces. Mor became Rhysands ambassador, visiting the Court of Nightmares gladly taking it upon herself to scare the shit out of her father. Azriel and Nyx becameRhysand's Shadowsinger's hunting traitors and spies while controlling the flow of information that other courts got from the Night Court. They built the reputation that Rhysand would follow in the footsteps of his ancestors, being the cruel and bloodthirsty High Lord

It was a few years later after they opened their borders again that Rhysand brought home another part of their family.

The inner circle was called to Velaris, to Rhys's new town house. They all have their own residences in Velaris. Cassian and Mor lived on the same block. While Az lived in apartment next to Nyx's. Though more nights than not Rhys would have at least one person would sleep in the guest room.

So here they were, waiting for their High Lord who called them hours ago. After ten minutes of waiting they cracked open Rhys's liquor collection. Now they were laziling about sharing what they've been up to since their last "family dinner" something they have at least once a month.

Nyx was lying with her head in her twins lap while Cassian sat near her feet and Mor lounged across from them in a plush chair next to the fire place.

"Did you know that the High Lord of winter and his mate are not actually 'mates'." Nyx said throwing quotes around the word mates. Shouts of protest flew around the room.

"Bullshit! When did you find that out?" Mor said taking a sip of her wine. Nyx was about to answer when the door flew open.

"About time M'lord-" Cassian started sarcastically. He was about to continue when Rhys moves out of the way revealing a small Fae. She had a short black cut hair showing off sharp cheekbones. And was in a pair of grey Night Court clothes.

"Everyone this is-" Nyx cut Rhysand off with a snarl.

"Prisoner 013." She said a dagger already gripped tightly in her hand. Nyx already between the small Fae and Rhys when he lightly grabbed her hand.

"Stand down Nyx she's not a threat." Nyx scoffed but sheathed her knife. "As I was saying this is Amren."

She paced slightly keeping her eyes trained on the female. For the first time the fema- Amren spoke.

"Your High Lord is quite persuasive." She purred grasping the large gemmed necklace that was hanging low on her neck. A light snarl ripped from Nyx's lips. Amren glanced at her amusement dancing through her silver eyes. "I like you girl." She said making Nyx narrow her eyes

It doesn't matter that only a few years later Amren and Nyx were good friends. They have weekly gatherings, Nyx drinking alcohol and Amren drinking different blood combos. Trying to figure out which flavor is her favorite. So far it was a spiced lamb blood. They also bonded over their time locked in the dark.

Then like always everything good was destroyed. They were all at Rita's when it happened. He spoke in their minds telling them not to leave Velaris. That he'll be back soon. To take care of Velaris. In the last minute Nyx sent out Nuala and Cerridwen to find Rhys to help him. And with that they were trapped fifty years.

Life was hard at first. No one knowing what had happened to Rhysand, or if he was even alive.

But they distracted themselves. The first thing they did was prepare Velaris. They didn't know what was going on outside the barriers, so they helped with city's defenses. Cassian took up training the citizens, with help from the twins and Mor.

The first five years passed and they all grew apart, none seeing each other for weeks at a time. The last time they gathered it ended in a fight, Cassian had wanted to destroy the shields around Velaris. He was desperate to know if their High Lord was safe or not. The others agreed with him all wanting to go and find Rhys. But Amren disagreed, saying "The bastard did this for a reason and we have to trust him." And then for the next hour a screaming match in the end Nyx had to break up Mor and Cassian from trying to kill Amren.

After that the relationships were strained, Nyx still watched over each person making sure they weren't going to kill themselves somehow.

She got nervous for a while during the seventh year when Cassian was more drunk then he was sober.

She snapped on the tenth year, pulling everyone to the House of wind. Not telling them who was going to be there. Cass and Azriel were on somewhat good terms so Cassian didn't immediately leave when her twin showed up. But when Nyx carried in Amren he was on his feet in a second already trying to push past Nyx to go back to whatever bar he just came from.

"No! You are going to sit, eat. And your going to like it." Nyx growled out grabbing his hand and dragging him back to the table. Mor appeared a few minutes later surveying the room with slight anger.

"You told me you wanted to talk alone, not that they would be here." Mor grumbled but sat down anyways grabbing some wine while glaring at the others in the room.

"If I told any of you the truth would you have come?" She asked listening to them grumble in response.

So she took her seat, she was sitting in the middle of Cassian and Azriel. Amren and Mor sitting across from them.

Food appeared soon and they all ate, silently. Nyx sighed in her head, she thought it wouldn't be this much work.

"Listen, I know we all miss Rhysand. And trust me I want to go and get him right now. But he left us with protecting Velaris. So we are going to listen to him." Nyx said all eyes turning to her. "And we can't fight with each other and protect our city at the same time, so we are going to stop being childish." Nyx finished meeting each one of their gazes.

Once she got a nod out of each of them she smiled in response.

The dinner finished soon after and most of the tension had left the room, all speaking of what they've been doing.

"We should do this at least once a month." Mor said to the group getting nods and smiles back.

From then on they had small family dinners. And instead of growing apart they grew closer. Most spending the nights at the town house. But as much as they tried nothing could replace the loss of their High Lord.