FIVE

This is a raw version. All edits after the novel is finished. My thanks to those who continue reading. I hope it brings you joy as much as when i wrote it.

FIVE

            Maybe Charles came for a reason. Because looking back, I realized we had no back-up contingency plan for the missing act. And it was too late to schedule anyone else, let alone call their managers to book them without pay. While we walked the clean cut grass, I remembered the big-eyed, dreamy look on the children’s faces. They were excited to see the Philippine Icon of modeling, acting and beauty. All of which were point references to Ms. Katherine Tuazon—who unfortunately bailed out the last minute. Left me and the kids hanging, waiting to do nothing or something—but what…I had no idea. Who else was there to take her place?  I didn’t want to look the part, but Charles saw right through me anyways.

“Is something on your mind, Ella?”

“Just thinking about tonight,” I replied truthfully “We have no surprise acts up our sleeve. I don’t want to disappoint the children.”

“Oh,” he said with a slightly amused tone “It will all work out.”

“How do you know?” my eyes narrowed “How can you be so sure? Unless you know something I don’t…what is it? Tell me!”

“Have faith my dear,” he told me “Focus on the mural you need to work on.”

I noticed he turned another direction from me, “Where are you going?”

“To get some rest in the teacher’s lounge,” he smirked “See you laters, Ella.”

Charles was insufferable. Getting all childish and care-free wasn’t exactly what I had in mind. No-sery, I expected him to be on top of the situation. Instead, he chose to take his sweet time, and sleep inside the office. He really did fall asleep. It wasn’t a joke. No pun intended. The man better not wake up on my watch—or he’s going to see thy kingdom come on earth! Fall straight into his face, it makes no surprise; he wasn’t part of the committee. That organized this event. So he must have figured he’s off the hook. His presence was only for support. At the moment, Charles was lying useless in a spread out couch with long legs dangling on one end corner. I snickered in satisfaction. Putting on my evil face, thinking that it must be terribly uncomfortable to sleep like that.

But, no! I knew it all too well. He snored! That just did it for me. I slammed the door shut. And locked him up inside for all its worth. Charles won’t getting anywhere out of this room. As I crossed the windows, he pushed up the blinds and called to me, “Hey, Ella, I promise you it’s gonna work out for the best,” his eyes looked sincere and determined “And that little lock of yours won’t keep me here.”

“Whatever Charles, I thought you’d be here with some sort of solution in mind.”

“I do have one.”

Arching a brow, I asked, “And what might that be?”

His voice was gentle, “To make you smile…”