seven

AN: so even though I am American, I don't really travel around much. If I ever leave my state, it's usually to go somewhere that's out of the country. I've never moved before in my life, and I've always been accustomed to the same house I've lived in my whole life. So if some of these places that I try to describe aren't 100% accurate, I'm very sorry. I'll try my best, though :-)

And if you're not american, no worries. It doesn't matter in the end, just picture them in different cities, wherever they are. haha okay bye :-)

ALSO this is super random but if anyone's going to san diego rowyso on july 18th hit me up bc imma be there and i love meeting u guys because its happened a few times and I really like it :D

-

"I don't like the looks of this." I shook my head, staring out the window. I've been staring out the window for the last 3 hours, and I've seen a lot of the same things: cars, houses, buildings, fields, and more cars. We passed through small towns here and there, but all in all I was just waiting to make it to the next major city we could get to. Which, in our case, is Baltimore, Maryland. This whole car ride has been nothing but quiet. I wasn't a fan of the awkwardness that clung to the air around us, but I didn't have the courage to put an end to it. Ashton obviously didn't say much, but he sure did whistle. He's practially been whistling since we each got in the car back in New York, and now it was just plain annoying.

"How could you not like Baltimore," Ashton said back. He had thankfully finished off that cigarette long ago, and he hasn't had another since. "This place has it all. Such an abundance of illegal dealers, bad people, and cocaine. What's not to love?"

I could sense the sarcasm in his words, but at the same time it still made my skin crawl. I know Baltimore as being a nice place and full of liveliness...but every city's got a bad part to it, right? Take New York City, for example. I lived in a nice little apartment highrise in the mix of it all. It was very well-kept and expensive, but those were the sort of luxuries that I was used to growing up in. But, after walking around with the whistling jerk all morning, it's easy to see that it takes just about half an hour to enter a part of the city that was just...I don't know, dangerous. Every city has got a part of it that's undeveloped and takes in low income, and I think that's what Ashton was talking about. My mother always said not to wander around in those parts...and I could obviously guess why. Being an 18-year-old girl, I'm the one of the easiest targets out there for maniacs. In fact, that's already been established with Derek's little mininons, unfortunately.

"Well what are we - well, you, gonna do?" I asked.

"Again with the questions." Ashton rolled his eyes, pulling off the freeway. I don't think he's made eye contact wth me in the last 2 hours. He looked at me once, earlier, but it was only to glare at me and tell me to shut up. I don't know why he wants me to keep so quiet, when all I was doing was trying to engage in a conversation and prove to myself that I'm not as awkward as I thought.

"What's wrong with asking questions?" I scoffed, glancing at him. I wanted him to look at me and say something, but his eyes seemed to be glued to the road. Either he was concentrating on where we were supposed to go, or he just didn't want to look at me.

"Questions mean you're nosy," Ashton replied angrily, suddenly tightening his grip on the steering wheel. "Questions mean you're not capable of finding out things on your own. Asking questions just proves that you can't fucking handle yourself."

"So, you're telling me..." my voice trailed off and I narrowed my eyes at him. What he had just explained made absolutely no sense. I forced myself to keep talking, and try to prove that I'm not shy. "...that I'm stupid, because I don't know your last name?"