Faith - Part 2

“This…certainly isn’t a traditional Christmas dinner,” Brandon said, his brow knitted.  

Carmen had certainly outdone herself setting the table. The sushi rolls were laid out in beautiful geometric patterns strategically spaced out from one another, creating a kaleidoscope against my crisp white tablecloth. The chopsticks, dishes and glasses were perfectly aligned with one another, a candle flickered in the center of the table, and she had folded the napkins into rosebuds.

“Oh, it’s only like this because Averie hates Christmas,” Carmen teased, sticking the tip of her tongue out in my direction.

“I don’t hate Christmas,” I huffed, grabbing the pitcher of sweet tea and setting it on the table.

“Are you okay with sushi?” Carmen asked quickly, her cheerful expression fading at the sight of Brandon’s confusion.

Brandon rubbed his eyes and nodded. “Yes, it’s perfectly fine. Thank you for the dinner – I don’t mean to be ungrateful, but everything feels a bit surreal right now.”

We sat down and awkwardly nibbled at our first few pieces, each of us reaching for whatever was closest. Smooth wooden chopsticks clicked against glass plates as Brandon stared intensely at his food, fumbling with the unfamiliar utensil before Carmen broke the ice. “So, Brandon? What brings you to Las Vegas?”

I snorted and almost inhaled the rice in my mouth. Way to pick a conversation topic, Carmen. Let’s ask for the story that ends with him getting mugged.

Brandon stopped floundering with his chopsticks and looked over at her. “To be honest with you,” he sighed, “I’ve been asking myself that as soon as the first guy punched me.”

Carmen smiled patiently. “Well, where were you coming from?”

“Georgia. Athens, specifically. I went to school there but couldn’t really find much of a job after graduation.”

“University of Georgia? Go bulldogs. What job did you have?”

“I just worked in admissions,” he said. “Not too much you can do with a history degree.”

Carmen nodded enthusiastically. “No, I get what you mean. I got my degree in psychology and have had a job in everything but.” Her eyes flickered to me. “Averie has us all beat, having a job in her major and all.”

I dabbed at my mouth with a napkin and shook my head. “I majored in biology before going to nursing school, but the major you pick doesn’t really matter as long as you have all the prerequisites. Besides, you can’t tell me that your psych degree hasn’t helped in your job.”

She looked heavenwards. “It’s come in handy, but there are people that psychology can’t begin to understand.”

“What’s your job?” Brandon asked. “Also, sorry – can I get a fork?”

“Flight attendant,” Carmen said brightly as I got up to get Brandon’s fork. “If you can stand the cranky passengers and the vomit, it’s not a bad gig.”

“I think you just described your job at Treasure Island, too,” I said, handing Brandon a fork. He hadn’t made much progress in his meal besides unraveling a few pieces and dissecting them.

This perked him up. “You were a dealer at a casino?”

Carmen shook her head. “No, a dancer. Were you still in Las Vegas when Treasure Island replaced the Buccaneer Bay show with The Sirens of TI?”

 “The free show in front of the casino? Yeah, I was still around.”

Carmen extended her arms in an arabesque. “I was a siren,” she admitted sheepishly. “It’s not my proudest moment, but the job was actually pretty fun – I don’t think any of my jobs will ever feature pyrotechnics and sword fighting again.”

“Not on an airplane, with any luck,” I quipped.

Brandon laughed and dug into his dinner. “So, you ended up a nurse?” he asked me.

Obviously, I thought, but swallowed the sarcasm. “Yup. I work in the emergency room at Southern Hills. It’s actually been two years now.”

“You must have the craziest stories.”

“Please don’t get her started,” Carmen interrupted, crossing her forearms in an X. “Not while we’re eating.”

“Fair enough,” Brandon chuckled. “But I remember that you had a knack for chemistry back in high school. I should have figured you’d follow some sort of science career.”

I shifted in my chair, uncomfortable with how well Brandon remembered high school. “Technically speaking, psychology is a science,” I countered, shifting the conversation back to Carmen.

“Yeah, and it got me dancing in my underwear at Treasure Island,” she snorted. “Although – hey, that’s how we met!”

Brandon’s eyes widened as he turned to me. “Don’t tell me,” he gasped, “that you were a siren, too.”

“Sorry to crush your dreams,” I drawled, “but no. If you must know, I met Carmen after a guy wouldn’t stop harassing her after a show.”

“She punched him square in the nose,” she affirmed in an awed voice. “It was kind of awesome.”

Brandon’s eyes widened and then darted to his plate, where they stayed. The conversation had gone full circle – back to him not making eye contact with anyone.

Carmen twirled the end of a curl and sat back in her chair. “You know, speaking of Treasure Island….”

I knew there was a reason she came to dinner so dressed up.

“You want to go to a casino on Christmas Eve?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.

“No gambling or clubbing or anything like that,” she said quickly, waving a hand. “But just to walk around, gawk at what the tourists come to see. Just so we’re not cooped up in here.”

It was an odd idea, to say the least. Anyone living in Las Vegas for any extended period soon learned to ignore the Strip, even Fremont Street, in favor of the actual town. The tourists could come to play in the gauche playground and leave their money behind, but the real Las Vegas wasn’t one of gimmicks or vices – it was the desert town I called home. Carmen was proposing that we break the invisible barrier and wander into the cheap illusion.

“I don’t know,” I mused. “It seems a little weird.”

Carmen motioned to the table. “Um, Averie? Sorry to say it, girl, but your Christmas is already weird.”

I felt my cheeks flush, but I didn’t break my gaze.

“The Venetian has a winter festival they put on, and the Bellagio’s fountains are choreographed to Christmas music,” she ticked off attractions on her fingers. “It’s not like we’ll be out all night, and it would be a nice change of pace. What else did you have in mind for tonight, a movie starring Humphrey Bogart?”

“Cary Grant, actually,” I muttered.

“We can still have Cary Grant,” she pointed out gently. “You know, wine, pie and a movie – after taking a breather. Are you in?”

She had a point. When was the last time I went out to have some fun? As much as I sometimes wanted to, I couldn’t watch movies at home every night.

I sighed. “Fine. I’m in.”

Carmen grinned and turned to Brandon. “How about you?”

I sat up in my chair, jolted by Carmen’s question. Brandon didn’t factor into this plan – Brandon was getting dropped off at a hotel as soon as the dishes were cleared from the table. Why was she asking him to come along?

Brandon looked just as surprised as I was. “Sure – if you’re fine with me coming, I’d love to join you.”

“Looks like it’s settled,” Carmen sang as she helped herself to another piece of sushi. “Christmas in Las Vegas – let’s see how festive the desert can get.”