Faith - Part 1

I was carefully setting the table for two when a car pulled into my driveway, its headlights cutting through the darkness with blinding radiance. I heard the door slam and could practically smell Victoria Secret’s Pink from across the property. I heard my door groan as it swung open, and a redhead with thick curls and little black dress strutted into my kitchen. Balancing a pie in one hand, she elegantly closed the door behind her, her dancer’s background revealing itself in even the slightest moves. 

“Merry Christmas, girl!” Carmen laughed as she handed me the night’s dessert. 

“Merry Christmas, but you really didn’t have to dress up,” I replied dryly, looking down at my own jeans and top. Something told me that dinner at my house wasn’t the only thing on her mind.

“Aww, but it’s more fun this way!” she pouted playfully. “Besides,” she continued, reaching into her handbag and pulling out a pair of brown felt antlers, “I’m Vixen!” She struck a pose, crossing her impossibly long legs and pouting her lips.

“The mistress or the reindeer?”

“Ouch,” she wrinkled her nose. “I’m happy I didn’t go with the elf hat, then.” She glanced over at the table. “You seem pretty much set, but is there anything I can help with?”

“No,” I sighed. “Unless you want to put the pie in the fridge. That is pie, right?”

“French silk,” grinned Carmen as she pulled my refrigerator open. “And speaking of the menu, what have you been preparing all day? It doesn’t really smell like you’ve been cooking.”

“You mean what I’ve ordered,” I corrected her, “and that would be sushi – California rolls, caterpillar rolls, spider rolls, all kinds. You know I’m not into the Christmas thing,” I warned when I saw the look on her face, “and I know you’re not opposed to sushi. Sorry, but ham and mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables? Not in my house.”

“Understood,” she said quickly. “You know I don’t have a problem with sushi.”

I pulled sushi out from the fridge and was arranging it on the table when Carmen cleared her throat. “So…have you talked to Spencer?”

I shot a look at her. “No. We’re not talking.”

“Still? He didn’t even invite you over for Christmas dinner with your family?”

“Why would he? I’ve stopped talking to my family after high school. I have my own life, and my family has their own.”

Carmen shrugged sympathetically. “I don’t know. I mean, now that he’s out of school too….”

“It doesn’t change anything.”

Carmen moved as if to try and hug me, but I slipped out of her space. “Anyway, what do you want to drink? Water, orange juice, sweet tea, wine?”

“Sweet tea sounds fine right now, thanks.”

I pulled down two glasses and grabbed the pitcher that I had made earlier in the day when three loud knocks thudded against my door. Carmen clutched her heart in surprise, looking at me with wide eyes. “Did you invite someone else?” she asked.

“I didn’t,” I said slowly.

This wasn’t a usual deal for me. My neighbors and I barely spoke, and everyone else I knew would be having Christmas dinner with their families. I ran through the list of everyone who knew where I lived and was coming up with a blank of who would be here at this time – and more importantly, why?

“Are you going to answer?” Carmen asked with a shudder.

“I don’t really have much of a choice, do I?” I scoffed before marching over and pulling it open.