Pins and Needles

Robs Point of view

"And that's for making me fall in love with you," I heard the first three words. After that, everything went out of focus. Everything melded into one, and nothing made any sense. "Rob? Are you alright?" It was sounding better, like I was listening to her talking through a thick door. Images were flashing before my eyes. Images of a city. With tall skyscrapers everywhere. Everything was tinged red. Nothing seemed real. When I came back to what was happening, I was viewing it from above. Watching Ailish and myself gliding, when we stopped gliding, and started falling straight down to the open fields that were spread out in a patchwork beneath us. The actual me flipped sideways, and I heard cracks, realising at least 3 of the ribs on my left side break. It was as if I had hit something like the top edge of a building. I had this thought, and my minds flashed back into the Red City. There was one of those skyscrapers. I was still falling, but Ailish had landed straight on the roof of the building. I flashed back to reality. There was Ailish, lying in midair, and me, falling down straight to the ground. At that moment, I landed. Every bone in my body fractured. I could feel them crack in slow motion. Landing diagonally compared to the ground, smashing my toes into the ground, feeling as each one snapped and cracked. Then my feet breaking almost exactly in half. My knee-caps smashed into the concrete and my thighs and calves snapped. My vertebrae separated and pressed into my spinal cord. It snapped, and I knew I should be paralysed. I should be dead. That much I knew. The rest of my ribs cracked, pushing through my chest. There was no blood or anything else, they just punctured straight through the skin. And then my skull came down. It cracked, folding into itself as if it had been smashed with a sledgehammer.

Ailish's Point of View

I was lying there. I tried to force myself to stand up. A sharp pain ripped through my side and I screamed out. I opened my eyes and looked around. At the red sky and the skyscrapers all around me. I fell back down. My arms were numb, my legs were numb. The only thing I could feel was the pain from my ribs. I examined my surrounding more carefully, then suddenly it occurred to me. "ROB! " I screeched. I crawled over to one side of the building and looked down all 96 floors to the ground. Nothing but black concrete. I struggled to the other side, looked down and zoomed in to the bottom. I shuddered at the sight before me. Rob was lying on the ground, his body twisted and sections of skin and muscle sunk into the areas where all was left was the dust from his bones and marrow. His face was a mass of misshapen skin and pulverized bone. I looked back at myself and focused on the pain in my side and spread it out evenly in my body, then concentrated on fixing the bones. I retreated into my mind, then deeper into myself and looked through at my ribs. 3 of them on my right side were broken, and 2 more cracked. I created extra bone and marrow and welded the three broken ribs together, sealing them all. I was exhausted, and left the two that were cracked unattended because there was no way I could afford to use up any more energy.

I stood up stiffly, testing out the newly repaired ribs, and making sure I wasn't too violent. I could feel pins and needles in my arms and legs now. I noticed a trap door leading down to the top floor of the building, walked over to it and heaved it open. I looked down into the hole. Doubts were creeping their way into my mind, but I realised if I wanted to help Rob, I had to climb. I lowered myself into the darkness and climbed down, straight into the black.

Robs POV

I could feel my consciousness slipping away, but I knew if I passed out then that was it. I would be lost and there was nothing I could do about it. I concentrated on the pain coursing through my body and brought it out, accentuating the feeling. I tried desperately to scream, but having majority of the bones in my body obliterated I couldn't even be offered that small comfort. I heard heavy footsteps screaming down flights of stairs, a moment of silence, then a screech of shock, cut off abruptly and echoing into the distance.