Never

I just had to go and tell her didn't I. The biggest secret that has been in my head for the past 11 of 16 years of my life. Although I didn't exactly tell her, more showed her. We were sitting there, on a fallen tree trunk in a section of forest about twenty minutes walk from school. Once we got there, we sat down and I explained everything: how I could hear peoples conversations without anyone seeing me, why everyone described the same feeling after I glared at them, and how I managed to never be noticed by anyone. She explained why she left her friends, and why she had been crying. This is what happened.

While she was talking the sun peeked through a gap in the trees, straight onto a small pieces of broken glass lying on top of a dry, fallen leaf. It caught fire faster than any normal person could see. But I'm not a normal person. I sensed it, even listening intently to Ailish. I looked around, my eyes seeking out whatever it was that had triggered that sixth sense. Ailish followed my gaze, and saw what I was looking at. It spread quickly along the ground, in a direct line towards where Ailish and I were sitting. 

"Shit, run!" Ailish exclaimed. She jumped up and pulled on my arm.

"No. Just wait. Watch it. See how it's burning straight here?" Ailish nodded. "It's not real. Just watch." I sat, holding Ailish's arm. I could feel her arm tense as the fire got closer. "Sit down. Relax. If it is real, I can stop it. Be quiet for a second. I need to concentrate," I needed to have a clear mind to be able to stop it.

"Think ice, think cold. Come on!" I felt something stir in my mind. I could feel the cold. I transfered my energy into the ground straight to the fire. The fire stopped as suddenly as it started. It left the earth as if nothing had ever happened.  

I looked at Ailish and smiled, until I her face looking back, shocked and terrified. 

"What are you! Freak!" she shuddered. "I'm getting out of here." I saw her sprint off through the trees, and guessed she was going back to school. I jumped up.

"But, Ailish! Wait..." It was in vain. She wasn't turning back. I sat back down on the ground in front of the tree, leaning back on the damp, rough bark. I combed my fingers through my hair. I should have known it was never going to work. Why would it? The loner of the school and the most popular girl in our year level. Never.