Chapter thirty-one - Breakfast

The next morning, Jess was woken by the sound of seagulls. It reminded her of trips to the seaside, bucket-and-spade beaches, fairgrounds and candy-floss.

She wrapped herself in the memories and smiled, wondering what her aunt and uncle were doing right now, halfway around the world. It would be early evening for them. A perfect time to chat, if only she didn't have to get up and prepare herself to meet an intimidating movie star.

Jess made her way down to the kitchen as soon as she was dressed. Carys was still in her pyjamas, frying bacon. "Would you like a bacon sandwich? Or you can help yourself to cereal if you like. It's in that cupboard."

"I'll go with the cereal, thanks." Jess picked a box and shook some cornflakes into a bowl. "Do you have any milk?"

"Let me grab it for you." Carys turned to the fridge and pulled out an almost empty bottle. "There's more in the pantry. Just give me a minute and I'll get some."

Jess didn't want Carys to burn her bacon, and she liked to make herself useful. "Tell me where it is and I'll fetch it."

"Through that door in the corner and to the right."

When Jess opened the door she found a room almost the same size as her kitchen at home. There were rows of tins and packets of food on shelves, a large chest freezer and a big fridge. Given that the house was out in the middle of nowhere it made sense that they were stocked up, in case the weather turned bad.

"Did you find the fridge?"

"Yes." Jessica tugged on the heavy door to her right. There were three plastic bottles of milk lined up inside.

Carys called out to her. "Did you want tea or coffee?"

At that same moment, footsteps echoed on the old stone flags. Then another voice said, "If you're putting the kettle on, I'll have a tea, thanks."

The familiar voice made Jess jump, yet there was also something different that she couldn't quite put her finger on. Perhaps Gareth was just more relaxed in his own home. Not wanting to intrude on a family moment, she hung back in the pantry.

Carys' slippered feet pattered around the table. "Hey! When did you get back?"

"Late last night. What's wrong with your hair?"

Jess knew she should go back into the kitchen and face him, but her feet were glued to the floor and something uncomfortable had become lodged in her throat. She could barely breathe, let alone say hello.

"It's only a bit of colour," Carys said, her voice taking on a defensive edge.

"That's not just a bit of colour. You look like a snooker ball."

"You can talk. That blonde's hardly natural, is it?"

"No, but it wasn't my choice, either."

Carys switched to Welsh, saying something that probably wouldn't have been complimentary in any language. The last thing Jess wanted was to be stuck in the pantry while they were in the middle of a sibling argument. She grabbed the first bottle, took a breath and went back into the main kitchen; a simple action that was as nerve-wracking as curtain up on opening night.

Any hope of a pleased-to-see-you smile faded as Gareth Jones stared silently at her across the room. Carys nudged him with her elbow. "Oh, yes. I forgot to mention we have a visitor. This is Jess."

"Jessica." His acknowledgement, devoid of any trace of emotion, was very different from the relaxed way he'd spoken to his sister.

What was he thinking? Was he so unhappy to see her? She hadn't seen Gareth in person since they'd met after that horrible audition. Now, he was staring at her, his mouth slightly open. Then he seemed to snap out of his trance. "What are you doing here?"