Chapter Four

My stomach hadn’t stopped churning the whole drive, and I was beginning to rethink my decision. Then I remembered the image that would forever be ingrained in my memory, and didn’t feel so bad anymore.

        Freshly motivated, but still nervous, I turned onto the street of the club and saw that cars lined the road far before the building was in sight. I decided to park my white Vauxhall far away from the club.

        ‘That’s just as well, I suppose. Less likely to get smashed or dented or vandalized or anything.’  I thought.

        Before getting out of my car, I checked my watch. Quarter to eleven. I was still early, the act wasn’t supposed to start playing until quarter past. When a particularly loud group of teenagers passed by my car I realized I’d been so nervous I hadn’t even turned on my radio.

        ‘Well, there’s no use getting in there before the party gets swinging,’  

        This was my excuse for taking even longer than I thought I’d need to pull myself together before going in. God, I couldn’t believe this day. If someone had told me yesterday that within 24 hours I’d be at the opening night of a brand new club, alone, to get revenge on my boyfriend who’d cheated me, I’d have laughed in their face. Yet here I was.

        People watching was one of my favorite pastimes in public places, and right now was no exception. Though the only light now came from the moon, it was enough for me to discern that this was a rock and roll club based on the people passing by. I saw lots of smoke, hidden flasks, leather, and enough hair gel to stand even my long tresses on end. I was grateful that I chanced wearing an outfit as modern and revealing as I did, I would fit right in here.

        Finally, I gathered up enough courage to make my way to the Casbah. First, though, I figured I would let the few people I spotted in my rearview mirror pass by to avoid any sort of run in. I wanted to get my bearings here before trying anything.

        There were four decidedly rock and roll lads in particular that I wanted to avoid, all wearing leather jackets with their hair duck butted and greased like Elvis. They were making a lot of noise and were all carrying instruments.

        “Who needs a fuckin’ drummer, eh?” one snickered as he passed a silver flask around to the others. They all laughed at his quip, though I thought I heard the younger looking of the four scold,

        “Ah, shut up Ken. We do, in case you haven’t noticed.”, though I couldn’t be sure.

        “Where are we goin’, fellas?” another yelled at the top of his lungs in a pseudo-American accent.

        “To the top, Johnny!” the other three replied in the same tone.

        “And where’s that, fellas?”

        “To the toppermost of the poppermost!” This response was met by raucous laughter and cheers all around. It seemed to be a tradition, or at least a common occurance, among them.

        The commotion caused by the group faded out as distance was put between them and my car. Once I thought the gap was large enough for me to be safe, I drew a deep breath and hopped out.

        It took longer than I expected to get inside of the club, with the long driveway and the line out the door. I was also surprised to see that the club seemed to be in someone’s home, but there was no mistaking that this was indeed the new Casbah place.

        I shuffled my way in with a group of other girls, avoiding the ticket takers of sorts asking to see membership cards. As soon as I stepped inside I could hear the guitars, although it was faint under the din created by what seemed to be hundreds of teenagers in the same place at once.

        "This way now, kids, this way!" someone strained to be heard.

        We were all ushered down some stairs and into the basement, which was newly painted with all sorts of designs on the walls. I immediately felt like I was burning up in the sticky heat, and got shoved around among the crowd. My heart was fluttering, my head was pounding, and already a layer of sweat was forming on my skin, but for the first time all night the feeling in my stomach wasn’t one of dread, it was one of nervous excitement.