Chapter One

It was August 29, 1959, our two year anniversary. The sticky heat of the summer was in full swing, and even a place like Liverpool was alive with new hope. I could barely hold myself back from breaking into a sprint as I headed to his townhouse, resulting in an uneven hop-skip that I’m sure drew countless stares from passers-by. But I didn’t care. Nothing could ruin this day. I was grinning from ear to ear, breathless with excitement, lightheaded with happiness, and all was well for me for the first time in a long time.

        “He’s a lucky man, missy,” the shopkeeper had said when I giddily handed over my cash, “I hope he knows it,”

        “Oh, he does, I know he does. And I’m even luckier than he is!” I’d gushed.

        Now I clutched the package to my chest as I made my way across the city, proud of myself for having saved enough to buy him as nice a gift as he deserved. Granted, this bottle of cologne wasn’t the noblest of presents, but the second part of his gift was the more sacred. I couldn’t wait to see the look on his face when he realized that I planned to give myself to him tonight as well. My first time couldn’t be with anyone more perfect.

        As I hurried along I got caught up in my own thoughts, and I realized how unlikely a love story we really had. It had been a miracle in its own right for an older guy like him to go for a younger girl like me, not to mention that I was new at the time as well. Suppose I hadn’t gone to the school mixer that night, or I hadn’t curled my hair, or smiled at him when he looked my way? Suppose I hadn’t immediately caught his eye or said the right things when he talked to me for the first time? What if I’d said no when he came to my door a week later asking me to the pictures with him, armed with a dozen roses? If any of these things hadn’t gone the way they did we might not be going steady. Everything had fallen into place perfectly. Our love was written in the stars, we were meant to be together. He and I would be married someday. I was sure of it.

        I let myself in as silently as I could, using the spare key under the doormat. I didn’t knock or ring the bell, I wanted to give him the surprise of his life. I knew he wouldn’t be expecting me for another four hours for dinner, but I just couldn’t wait. I bit my lip as I crept up the stairs, but stopped when I heard a curious thudding sound.

        Has he got one of those new washing machines for me? Or maybe a color tv?

        Countless possibilities ran through my mind, but I kept on without making a sound. When I reached the top of the flight I peeked my head around the corner.

        What I saw made my heart ache and somehow plunge into my stomach and throat at the same time. I felt dizzy. Empty. Betrayed. I began to think that I might even throw up as I sunk to the floor. Hot tears formed in my eyes, and I blinked in disbelief.

        Still, I kept quiet, even when the tears rolled down my cheeks and onto the floor. I couldn’t figure out whether I should look away or not, but my curiosity chose for me. I couldn’t tear my eyes from the bed.

        There was Kevin Winton: my love, my life, and my rock, having sex with a girl I’d never seen before on the night of our two year anniversary.