Chapter six

Sam calls down a cab sometime after the kiss; I was still in shock at the night’s events that I couldn’t muster a word. I had nearly killed a man because I was angry, yeah maybe he wasn’t innocent but that still wasn’t the point, no one should be murdered it was wrong and sinful. I think a visit to church was in order sometime soon.

“You’re still mad at me, aren’t you?” Sam asks when we are sat in the taxi, okay yes I was still mad about him kissing someone else but it wasn’t his fault, I wasn’t with him, he didn’t know how I felt, I had no right to be angry at him but I was, I was jealous it wasn’t me but the witch he was with stirred so many emotions inside of me, thinking about her appearance I had been wrong she wasn’t a calvery witch, though I had seen her before, where had I seen her that was the question.

“I’m not mad, I’m just well jealous.” He smiles taking my hand and kissing it.

“Well this might sound weird but I’m happy you’re jealous.” He chuckles and I can’t help but join in too even after the terrible things tonight.

“But well, I don’t know why I kissed her, like you said earlier at the bar I wouldn’t hit on a drunken girl and I’m definitely not the guy to go around kissing complete strangers. It’s just well; it was like something forcing me towards her as if I was being controlled. I know it sounds weird but well, hey maybe I’ve just had too much to drink.” I shiver slightly because it wasn’t the drink that had caused Sam to do that, it was because she was making him do what she wanted too, she could so easily make him kill himself and he wouldn’t even question it.

We arrive home and as I guessed Adonis was waiting for me, he was sat on the stairs a sour look on his face, when he sees me he stands without a word and walks up stairs. A shiver runs through me, he was mad, so mad it was nothing like I have ever seen before, usually he would be all guns blaring voicing what he thought but now? Now he wouldn’t even say a word to me and that was scarier than him yelling in my face about how stupid and reckless I had been.

Swallowing I hang my jacket up on the banister knowing full well that one of the maids would moan at me tomorrow about leaving it there, I didn’t care at the moment all I wanted to do was safely make it to bed and forget about the nights events. Following a safe distance behind Adonis I wonder to my room, I see him hesitate at the door besides mine, which would lead into his own room.

“Why?” Was all he said, making me stop and look at his rigid back I could see his hand poised on the brass knob, if I could see the front of him I bet money on his eyes were closed, helping him control his temper. Trying to put my powers to use I try and read his mind, why, what? As always his mind is like a brick wall.

“What?” My voice was eerily quiet though yet seemed to bounce of the walls making it echo back to me.

“Why did you run off like that? If anything happened to you …” I could see his hand tighten on the knob, his other hand now above his head holding the door frame in his grip. He breathes in a big breath and as I wait I wonder if he would carry on his sentence.

“It would be my fault Alyssa, mine. Do you know how hard it is to deal with knowing someone’s blood is on your hands?” I see an image of the guy earlier in my mind, flashing with a pang of guilt, no, I wouldn’t know what it would feel like but I guess it was one that could drive you to suicide, a wrong for a wrong. Thing was, if I died it wouldn’t be his fault, it would have been mine.

“What makes you think that it would be your fault? I could die from natural causes, being hit by a bus, committing suicide. And yet, it would be my fault, my fault because my body wouldn’t be able to cope, because of my clumsiness or stupidity, or just because I felt sorry for myself. None of that would be on your hands.” He turns around, his brown eyes tinted with a glaze.