Chapter three

The smell of burnt metal and rubber sit heavy on my lungs as I breathe in the air, my whole focus was fuzzy as if just waking up. When they do become clear I realise I’m surrounded by a swirl of grey fog, running blindly through it I try and decipher where I was, I begin to panic after moments of nothing but never ending grey smoke, soon I see it orange flickering flames just like from my other dream. Walking closer I realise what was alight was a car, twisted metal, burnt rubber. It had collided with a tree but by the look of the back bumper it looked as if a car had gone up the back of it. I froze, the number plate looked familiar, walking closely I calm the flames the colour of the car burning off but still there was enough there to tell me the car had been a gleaming black. My heart began to race. Extinguishing the flames all together my body went into shock. It just couldn’t be – no – I wouldn’t let it be. Though the signs were there it was the right model, right colour and the reason the number plate looked so familiar was because I had watched it only a few hours ago, driving away from me and my mother. I shut my eyes willing for it to disappear though it never did. Walking to the driver’s side I had to know, had to look …..

“Alyssa?” Waking up I stare up into warm chocolate eyes, breathing out a sigh I realise it had only been a dream but that thought it pushed away. My last dream had happened thousands of years ago, and what had Lorain said about my dreams coming true? Looking up at Adonis eyes I wonder if the sadness in his eyes were because he was just about to tell me my father was in accident? “Yes?” I sit up as he takes his place at the chair he had put at the side of my bed, his face softens and he gives a sheepish smile. “Are you okay? You were thrashing around in your sleep.” Thrashing around in my sleep? “Was I?” I trusted him though there was no way I could tell him about the dream, he would think I was delusional plus how did I explain the whole I’m a witch thing? No, Adora was right there were some things you had to keep to yourself. Glancing over the alarm clock I swear to myself. Adonis gives me the ‘really is that necessary’ look which half the time I gave him credit for, it was a cool look. “I’m late. Why didn’t you wake me?” I spring out of bed and begin to run to my dressing room. “There’s no need for that at the moment.” Turning around from my rush I stare at his face and how a unusual full grin was spread across his stubbly chin, looking down I realised he wasn’t in his normal grey sweat pants and white vest like he usually was, he wore a pair of jeans and a winter woolly jumper, my heart stammered for a moment while looking at him. His hair was let loose today, not tied behind the back of his head, what was going on? “I thought it was best you had today off.” Woah, my mother would never have agreed to that no matter how sad or upset she was and as usual he answers my question without me even voicing it. “Your mother was hard work but she came around.” I felt my mouth drop open she was not an easy woman to negotiate with. “What did you do threaten to kill her?” He laughs sweetly the problem was I was being serious. “No but I did offer to make pancakes.” “She’s having pancakes with us?” That was another blow, she rarely ever sat down and eats with us, she was always working at her shop. It was kind of like an herbal pharmacy. “Hold on wait did you say your making pancakes?” I had never seen him cook, or well do anything other than protect me and well some other things. “Don’t look so surprised there’s a lot you don’t know about me.” It hurt to say the least, I felt that I did, I felt I should have. “Come on lets go start cooking we’ve got a long day ahead of us.” “Were going out?” Another small smile comes to his face. “You will just have to wait and find out.” Adonis left to go make pancakes, I wanted to go watch him the thought of him cooking brought a smile to my face even after everything I’ve been through, I wonder if he would wear Lor’s frilly apron, I try and choke back my laugh. I was rushing to get rest and when I deem myself ready I rush down stairs, to my disapproval he wasn’t wearing the apron but I still got the joy of having an excuse to watch him. He was good at tossing the pancakes; it was impressive especially with his fast instincts. “So how did you learn how to cook? I thought you were in like a prison camp for the whole of your teenage years?” Adonis had spent most of his teenage years in a martial arts school, kind of like the army, it was harsh, strict and many other things. “I did get to go home you know. My mother, she is an excellent cook and also doesn’t believe in old traditions about women being the housewife and the men going out collecting money, so she taught me how to cook and some other necessary things.” His back was to me but if he turned around I knew there would be sadness on his face as he talked about his mother, he hadn’t seen her for nearly seven years.