7: Farok: Negatives... And Positives

Sitting on the living room sofa, I look at Doctor Delos. He is my psychologist. "There's a little problem with my body," I say.

He raises an eyebrow. He probably thinks I mean that I'm not myself. Well sure I'd like to have my own body back, but that's not going to happen. "No, I don't mean that. I mean I have no wireless communication anymore! I wanted to call my friend Garaf." I don't say 'one of my friends' because he is my one and only friend. Being gone for half the year for work makes it difficult to keep in contact with people. Sure, I had friends on the ship, but they're all dead now anyway.

He grimaces, and seems to even laugh a little. "Your father-in-law and everyone else was so busy making your body perfect that they forgot to add a wi-com... That's unbelievable. I don't know what to tell you. Well, your session is over. I'll see you next week. Remember, don't leave the house yet. I'll see if you're ready next week."

I move my shoulders up in an attempted shrug, but my new shoulders move strangely. "Until next week, then."

Those few hours I've spent with him have helped me immensely. He already knew a little about myself, so he pointed out the positives to me about my new body. Besides the obvious negative of my robotic appearance, and my lessened vision (which he insisted they're going to work on), there are many positives to my new body as well.

The biggest is that I'm even stronger than before. I used to have to work out, which I was fine doing. But now I don't have to if I don't wish to. I can lift around a thousand pounds! I won't even get winded. Another positive is that I won't feel pain ever again. That is, unless I get a brain injury, but that isn't likely. My skull protecting my brain is a lot better than an ordinary skull, and that's an understatement. It's as big of a difference as the sturdiness of wood and steel.

I can also run fast, like sixty kilometers per hour. I wouldn't be that much slower than our car. In theory, I could tow the rover cart with a few people inside it if it was broken. Not that I actually would do that. I have my self respect! In fact, I take pride in my self respect. For a while, it was greatly diminished when I first woke up in my new body, but Doctor Delos snapped me out of it. Now, I'm right back where I was before. Sure this will take a lot to get used to, but I am still awesome. If people look at me funny, they're just surprised. And I know they will, I still do. It hasn't been even a day for God's sake!

Everyone else may look at me and be glad that this didn't happen to him, but that isn't my problem.

He also discussed with me a few things about my lifestyle. One of which is, apparently, my body is waterproof, so I can swim if I want. My brain, the most important part, is tightly sealed. This also means that I can eat- that I still have to eat. I won't need nearly as many nutrients as before. My brain will use up some of the energy, along with all my other robotic functions. I will also have to get rid of my waste, as before.

I can eat pretty much anything now, but why would I even want to?

At that moment, Fatima and Sissk arrive in the living room.

Seeing me drifting off into space, he says, "You doing okay?" He smiles sympathetically. He looks cured from his horror-stricken expression from earlier. Fatima still looks like she needs some time. She's looking at me wide-eyed.

I shake my head, but not to mean no. "Please, don't look at me like that. I will do fine. I don't need your pity."

"Glad to hear you're on the road of recovery. I knew Doctor Delos was a good pick for a psychologist!"

I say nothing. He is right that he is a good psychologist. But if I wasn't who I am, I would still be feeling badly about myself. It's like he doesn't even know me. I'm strong, and not just because of my muscles.