5: Farok: Unsettling Awakening

This is a short chapter, but I should get another one out in a few days in Kam's POV :).

~~~

Looking around at my paradise, I sigh, content.  The animals are looking at me, expecting me to do something.  I look at one of the deer.  "What?"  I ask it.

It moves its head as if to say, come with me.

Happily, I rise from my sitting position and frolick with him in the woods.  I have to run in order to keep up with it.

"What do you want?"  I ask, laughing.

It looks back at me.  The best things in life have to be waited for, is what I know it would say.

I shake my head, still grinning ear to ear, when I see it.

In front of me, is an enormous waterfall that must be bigger than the Niagra.

~~~

Suddenly, I found myself leaving my world.  Or at least that's how it seemed.  I am feeling tired, like I never had a good sleep.  Is that what happened to me, I was just sleeping?  I question myself, completely forgetting.

Slowly, I open my eyes to a foreign world.  There are a few dots in the corner of my vision, but I have no time to focus on that.

The first thing I see is Kamalla, my darling wife.  She is staring at me, and not in a way that I would want to be stared at.  Her eyes are wide, mouth in a small 'O'.  She doesn't look like she will say anything.  I look away from her and notice a few other people in the room.  Kam's Dad is nodding with a slight smile playing on his lips, though it looks forced.

Fatima is looking at me with a very dramatic expression, as to be expected.  One of her hands is on her cheek, a crooked smile is plastered across her face, and her chest is rising and falling quickly.

Then I notice a few faces that I do not recognize me.  Each of them give me a calculating look, as if I'm someone worth contemplating.

But my vision of everything and everyone in the room seems obscured, somehow.  The colors don't look the same...  The biggest difference I see is Kamalla's hair.  Usually it's white as snow, but right now it's looking more off white. 

I ask myself, why is everyone giving me all these stares, why isn't anyone talking?  So, instead of listening to the unsettling silence, I say, "Why are you all looking at me like that?"

My heart hammers right after I speak.  I no longer sound like myself.  It's like I'm speaking with the generic male voice from some shampoo commercial.

Breathing deeply, I look down at myself.  My heart nearly stops from what I see.

The body I see isn't mine, it's metallic, and plastic... it looks like a humanoid robot.

"Would someone please tell me where I am right now?"  The desperation in my voice is evident, and I cringe from hearing my voice that isn't mine.

"Why, you're in Sissk's basement closet," one of the unknown people tell me.

I narrow my eyes at him, exasperated.  "You know that's not what I meant."

Kamalla finally says something, "Babe, can we talk about this?"

"Talk about what?  Where am I!"  I scream.  When no one answers, I come to a decision.  "I'm out of here, it's obvious that I'm dreaming or something.  And you dream people are no help!"

I start to storm out of the closet, but after taking one step, I falter.  My stride seems to take me immensely farther than it had ever before, and I feel the same as if I were sitting down, if that makes sense.