Why Couldn't I Say I Love You

(First, off I'm gonna apologize in advance for some of the really sad, and depressing one-shots... I mean not all of them are depressing, but I have been depressed lately, so.... yeah... Enjoy my Depressing cringy writing)

*Character deaths, suicide*

(Also I do have more written than what I'm posting today, I just can't post them all at once)

(This one-shot is also kinda a what if; not only the Kishin died, but Maka died too :'<)

Song: Echo; Alan Walker

"Defeating me won't make the madness go away! Even if you defeat me, a successor or a junior or a newcomer or a number two or whatever else will just show up soon after and become a new source of madness anyway! So it's pointless!" Kishin Asura shouts hysterically at the fast approaching scythe meister.

"Hell..." Maka screams as she winds back her arm to punch Asura. "IF I CARE!" She finishes as her fist lands its mark.

Unfortunately...

Her attack wasn't the only one to meet its target... multiple of The Kishin's scarves pierced her abdomen going all the way through sticking out of her back. She coughed, blood flying from her mouth and landing on the cracked pavement as Asura's face cracks and he slowly starts to implode to a blinding blue light; Not before mumbling his last words

"See... Courage is nothing special... it's just like Madness,"

Everyone else who had previously been knocked out, regained consciousness, just as the light cleared, just as Maka began to fall from the elevated stone slabs. A distinct sense of dread and wrongness filled the air.

Soul shot up like gunfire and ran to catch his partner before she hit the ground.

"MAKA!" They yell in unison as she lands in Soul's arms, hardly moving.

They all gather around her, noting the heavy blood flow from her abdomen. Soul rips up his jacket and ties it around her trying to lessen her bleeding until they could get her to Stien or Nigus, Anybody!

A small pale hand stops his actions as he goes to tie the last knot.

"D-don't..." Maka stutters shivering slightly.

"No!," Soul yells a bit louder than he meant to, but he didn't care. He wasn't gonna let her die like this. "You're gonna be fine! We're gonna get you to Stein and he'll patch you up, just like he did for me! OK!?"

He readjusts her carefully trying not to jostle her too much so that he cradling her in his lap. His breathing has become ragged and uneven.

No one else can say or do anything, except stand there letting tears slip from their eyes. Tsubaki covers her mouth shaking and sobbing quietly into Black*Star's shoulder, who stared at the ground coldly with his bangs covering tear-filled eyes.

Liz looks at Maka's paling body with wide horror-filled eyes, while Patty looks at her with fear and confusion.

Why is everyone so sad? Why isn't Maka-Chan moving? We beat the kishin.... We won, So get up, Please

Kid puts his arms around the brokenhearted sisters as Patty mumbles incoherently through a flood of tears.

"I-i ap-p-preciate your b-blind optimism, but..." Maka sputters as more blood trails from her mouth. ", T-that's n-n-not the c-case here..."

Maka stops completely once she looks up at Soul's face, eyes widening.

Drip, drip

Soul was...

Drip, drip

Crying.

Her own emerald eye well up, while she stares into his tearful crimson orbs. Shakily she raises a gloved hand to his cheek and wipes away the stray teardrops. Soul brings up his hand to encase hers.

Painfully, Maka forces a smile on her face and whispers,

"I love you...."

Then her body dispels, leaving her alice blue Grigori soul swaying like ocean waves before floating off with the other azure human souls. Soul reaches for it long after it's out of reach.

He lets out a gut-wrenching cry of despair into the air after the shock has worn off.

Why couldn't I tell her? Why Couldn't I say I Love You Too, Maka?

Epilogue

The news of Maka Albarn's death spread like the plague. Bringing depression along with it. Spirit was on the verge of dying of alcohol poisoning and hospitalized... he is still unstable.

Black*Star and Tsubaki went on a couple year training mission to hone their assassination skills; The death of a close friend, almost sister really made them grow up.

Kid and Liz tried to keep a happy face for Patty. She started hanging out with Crona to try and help cheer him up. Seeing Maka not come back with everyone else who fought the Kishin, really broke him.

Everyone had someone...

But Soul... had no one anymore.

He rarely if ever ate or drank anything, only when Tsubaki would force it down his throat. He never slept, he laid on Maka's bed because it smelled like her; strawberries, vanilla, and books, but never slept. He couldn't, he was utterly haunted. By her last words, by her touch, by the sight of her soul slipping away.

Finally, he'd had enough; his partner... his soulmate... the girl he loves was dead. Sitting up and walking out to the kitchen, Soul transforms his arm into a scythe and holds it to his wrist.

He knew Maka would want him to live on and be happy, but he couldn't not without her. He collapses to the floor in a pool of crimson liquid. Then it goes black.

In end, he made it to the other side with Maka. They're happy now.