Chapter 7: New Neighbors

I left the pool and went to the bar in my swimming trunks. My mother was heavily drinking with two of our neighbors at the other side. I ordered my favorite flavored vodka with BBQ fries and sat facing west toward the park. I had no intention of getting drunk like my mother. The sun was almost gone now. It cast a red after-glow on the cloudy sky. I thought of what I'd cook for dinner. Maybe carbonara would be nice. Then I heard a splash at the pool. I knew it was Lisa. She always did that when she knew I was in the pool. She would fall on me then, but not today. I continued eating my fries and I glanced towards the pool. Lisa was swimming furiously now, but I noticed something far behind, someone. The silver-haired girl from my dream was there.

I choked from the fries in my throat. My mother reacted and ran towards me and tackled me. I was able to flush the fries by drinking the rest of my drink. My mother got up and hugged me while screaming "Don't die!" The neighbors weren't as drunk and they quickly got her off me. Lisa ran towards the bar and the silver-haired girl was by the pool now, watching.

      "What happened?" asked Lisa.

      "I choked on some fries and o-ka-san­ overreacted." I glanced at the silver-haired girl and Lisa followed my glance.

      "Oh, that's Luna. She just moved in. She's very pretty, don't you think so?"

      I wasn't thinking that. I was thinking that I should scoot and probably go cook dinner now.

      "I'm going up now. You take care of o-ka-san."

      I went ahead and put on my clothes folded at a bench and walked the other way around the pool avoiding Luna. I went to the nearest elevator and waited for it to go down. I looked at Luna again and I saw that she had just removed her shorts and is currently removing her shirt. She was wearing a matching black swimsuit. She flawlessly dived into the pool.

      Wow, that's impressive. Wait a minute! I shouldn't be thinking of this now.

      The elevator opened and a blonde American was there wearing a shirt and pants. He seemed to have reacted when he saw me but he quickly hid his surprise. I kept staring at him as he walked past by me and headed to the pool.

      An empty elevator greeted me. I went in and pressed the button 30. I walked to our apartment and put my hand against the door. It scanned my hand and the peephole did a facial recognition system. The door opened and I went in. Jill was on the balcony. Then I thought could she have seen the whole thing?

      "If you're thinking that I saw the whole thing happened, you're right." said Jill.

      "So, what do you think? Is she a friend or a foe?"

      "I'm not sure. She's not here as an enemy though."

      I went upstairs to change my clothes. I decided to wear the same t-shirt I wore to school and shorts that I've been wearing since yesterday including fresh underwear. I went down and headed to the kitchen. Jill was sitting on the kitchen table waiting for me to start cooking.

      I opened to see if there's enough ingredients left to make carbonara. There weren't any cream and bacon left so I decided to make spaghetti instead. Jill went into the top drawer and took the pasta and spaghetti sauce out. I filled the pot with water and let it boil. I started to cut the garlic and onion, then the mushrooms. Jill then took out the cheese and ground beef from the refrigerator. I opened the herb drawer and took out the basil and oregano.

      The pot was boiling now. I put the pasta in the pot when the door opened. Lisa and my mother entered. My mother looked sober now. She must have had that wonder drug that cures drunkenness. Lisa went up the stairs to her room while Mia Blake then sat at the kitchen table and slumped.