Chapter 6: Destiny Arrives

My last class for today ended at 3 in the afternoon. I had nothing else to do so I went to my clubroom.

      The clubroom is located in the NGME building. It was more of an abandoned room than a clubroom since there were only two members in the currently unofficial club, The Exploration Club, hiking, camping, swimming, and etc. It even includes survival and emergency measures.  A year ago when I joined, there were a total of 5 members including me.

      Being in the club was fun, but unfortunately they were all graduating students, so after that I was the only remaining member. At the start of this year, I tried to invite new students but they only wanted to join after they knew that I’m the Ace Mage. It was insulting and I knew they weren’t going to take it seriously so I gave up. I tried to invite Allen and Anne but they won’t quit the track team. The club is still standing due to me being the Ace Mage and I get to take some quiet time alone here but deep down, it never bothered me for a fact that I’m a loner. Since then I’ve decided to invite those that will surely be helpful. The second member, Kei, is on a sick leave from an accident a month ago, even if he’s already recovered a week ago, so I’m the only one here.

      When I got to the NGME practice hall, the students there were playing catch-the-wisp, they were all girls too. The goal of the game was to throw the wisp again as quickly as you get it. The wisp is made to explode if touched for more than 2 seconds or if thrown too fast. It was a risky game, so players always put up protection barriers beforehand. There was someone familiar sitting at the bench reading printouts and answering multiple papers, she was wearing glasses, she’s probably a busy person, but she seems to be from the same class as the playing students. So I thought that she’s being harassed to do their homework. This was confirmed by my own eyes and ears.

      “Mika! Hurry up and finish those before Mr. Verst leaves the school!” one of the players shouted.

      I thought so, social hierarchy. Just because one is weak and unpopular, they become the slaves of the insects on the higher social level. If having friends is like this, then forever alone is better. I was just about to pass through that cesspool of feudalism when the shouter earlier threw the wisp at Mika.

      By instinct, I raised my hand and manipulated the air around the wisp.

      The spell I cast took the oxygen away from the fire spell making it disappear before it got close to Mika. The fact that I’ve been bullied since grade school made me into what I am, I could notice stuff before it happened. I became vigilant, cautious, and better.

      They all stared at me and there was silence for a while. The silence was broken when Mika got up and said “Ren Blake, the Ace Mage of New World International.”Her eyes were unexpectedly calm, seems like she’s used to this kind of treatment. The others in the practice hall just stood there motionless, unable to speak because of shame.

      “Yeah, that’s right. Follow me to my clubroom upstairs, I have a proposition to ask of you.”

      “But I have to...” I knew that she meant her “friend’s homework”.

      I faced the shouter from before. “You, what’s your name?” She was pretty, I guess. But she has that same face my bullies used to after I pummeled them.

      “M-m-my name? It’s R-r-resa.” she stuttered. I was sure she said a longer name but I only heard Resa.

      “People who can’t do anything have no right to boss around those with talent. Hard work is good for you. It makes you better.” I said while approaching Mika and asked “Are all of these Resa’s?” while putting the papers in my hand. She replied a simple nod. I then incinerated the papers.