Prologue: Succession

10,000 - 11,000 years ago - Shattered Peninsula - Ancient Journal

We just received information that the Blood Clan has safely evacuated when the earth split, me and my comrades fell as the prophesized disaster was unfolding before our very eyes. The land is being devoured by the sea. We, the Moon clan along with the Sun clan and the Star clan, were in charge of evacuating the remaining clans in our jurisdiction if the portals were to be destroyed before we got through. The last one had sunk to the sea now. The Sun clan was on the western side of the continent and communications with the Star clan had been lost the day before. The spirit tree has also been lost, our abilities weakened, we decided to save the last remaining clans here by evacuating by boat. The Beast clan has already gone to the north, but the Shadow clan has been reduced to mere survivors. I fear for the extinction of the other races, even if we were able to flee to foreign land they'll be treated as mere monsters and demons by those that do not understand them. Our knowledge and wisdom will be forgotten and we can only hope that the prophecy of the re-awakening will be fulfilled.

Unknown Time - Unknown Place

He was translating the ancient journal at a nearby waterfall when he heard it. Something was crying. It wasn't an animal's cry. It was a human infant's. It was late afternoon now, his gray hair turning blonde in the light of the sunset. It cried again, he would have to go. He could not stop the idea that it was an abandoned child. He has always been a good-hearted person. He followed where the cries came from, southeast. It was far, but in the silence of the forest he could clearly hear it.

It was nighttime when he found her, an infant of less than a year old, abandoned in the forest, left to the harsh treatment of the wild. A wolf slowly crept toward the infant. He jumped in front of the wolf to fend it off, but the wolf was unwilling to return.

"Go back." the man had said with a layer of power in his voice.

As if it had understood him, the wolf retreated back to where it had come from.

He waited for it to come back for a minute or so.

It didn't. The child was his to take care of. He slowly walked toward the infant, laid there on the mossy forest earth, covered only by worn-out cloth. Her silver hair clearly seen because of the moonlight, she must have been about a few months old. He took the child in his arms and just then, he saw her destiny in his eyes. It wasn't by chance that she was left here. The child laughed as he held her tiny hand. This child will find his successor and aid him in his place. He would teach her many things, just as he had done before. She would also need to know how to harness her abilities. For now, he would just go back to the log cabin he calls home and take care of her there. She would also need a name. As he was walking back towards his home, he was pondering as to what name would be good to use.

"What name would you like?" he asked the infant. Her reply was only a small giggle.

"My name is Crescent. People used to call me the Scholar, my child." he said smiling. He thought to himself. It seems like destiny just gave me a new purpose.