1.5

The sharp intake of oxygen accompanied with the slight whistle of air escaping through clenched teeth echoed through the Salvatore mansion

"Here, I'll do it myself." I reached above me and swiped the cold, damp cloth from uncaring fingers, "You'd think that after living over a hundred years, someone would learn a little compassion." I gently eased the cloth across the canvas of skin that was currently stained with blood.

"Pfft, whatever compassion that I had, died long before I did." Damon's masculine voice reached me from behind the sofa's where I could only assume that he was refilling his glass of bourbon.

He comes around from behind the sofa and seats himself directly across from where I am, "Does it hurt?"

"Well I'm not exactly sure, I was thrown into bleachers by a freaking thousand-year-old hybrid of all things whilst trying to hold off your psychotic brother from killing one of the only family members that I thought was human, only to be proven wrong and also getting my head cracked open like a goddamn egg. What do you think? Would that hurt?" I pulled the rag away from my head and was relieved to see that the lacerated wound had stopped bleeding.

"I can see what Elena was talking about with your sarcasm."

"Yeah one of a kind buddy." I pulled out a small vial of golden nectar from the chain around my neck, surprised that it hadn't broken. I popped the vial and knocked it back. "Mm, chocolate chip pancakes on a Sunday Morning." The throbbing behind my eyes thankfully receded until I could finally stop seeing double. Easing my body to lay down on the couch was a godsend as I felt calm and still.

"What really happened back there? What are you?"

3 hours earlier

"A vampire, really?" the only known record of Vampires on earth was the legend of the βρυκόλακας () the undead that were indistinguishable from mortals, but that was over two thousand years ago and even though it was true, the vrykolakas were all destroyed by decree of Zeus, as he didn't want anything ruining his precious mortals (except him and his family of course).

"Yes, really and he and his family are the first of their kind." Elena and the pitch and seriousness of her voice was enough to convince me that she must have been telling the truth.

"Well, let's just say that he is an original vampire, then what's he doing here in the backwater of Virginia?" I quirked an eyebrow and folded my arms over my black long-sleeved shirt and awaited her answer.

There was a slight sheen of sweat on her forehead, whether from panic or exercise, that was getting to me. Her chocolate eyes flitted around the area of the gym littered with half filled paper cups, refusing to meet mine. Impatiently, I clicked my fingers around her head, I wanted her focus on me and not on the cups of Kool-Aid.

"Elena, what is he doing here?" my finger was quick to point in the direction of the tall brit standing a little way away but still had his eyes locked on us very intently, almost suspiciously.