1.2

A drop in the ocean,A change in the weather,I was praying that you and meMight end up together- A drop in the ocean-Ron Pope

A change in the weather,
I was praying that you and me
Might end up together
- A drop in the ocean
-Ron Pope

The drive to Mystic Falls could be summed up in one word.

Boring.

Traffic was horrible as it would be when exiting New York City, or just being anywhere close to New York City. I decided to leave for Mystic Falls a couple of days before the first semester of school started which was obviously a stupid decision on my side because there were so many cars out on the road that it was difficult not to turn into a road-raging monster. When I finally passed the Mystic Falls sign my heart rose, I was finally going to see my extended family after so long apart. I examined the town as I drove past, some things had changed, like the scenery. A certain oak tree where I had fallen and broken my arm in two places was cut down in the middle of town square. Elena and I would always go to there with our friends, underneath the oak tree was our hangout till Matt Donovan bet me a dollar that I couldn't climb to the top. I managed to climb to the top and won but not before embarrassingly having the branch underneath me snap. Though my six-year old pride was deeply wounded let's just say that I milked the hell out of that injury, never needing to do anything unless absolutely necessary. Smiling from forgotten memories, I parked outside Mystic Grill to have a snack before finding Elena's address.

It was a bright day, happiness radiated throughout the town. Though, it was weird since school would be starting again in a couple days. Many people were gathered outside the Mystic Grill, milling around the tables giving me the impression that it was a popular spot. Opening the door, I was immediately greeted with the familiar smell of alcohol and grease, two of the greatest pairings in history. Not many tables are empty so I took a while to locate an empty seat. Once I did, I immediately made my way and quickly place my ass on it. The area was a little loud but I was used to it. When living with over 100 teenagers during Summer at Camp, you get used to having your privacy invaded and peace disrupted. A teenage boy, a few years younger than me, wearing what I assumed to be the Mystic Grill uniform walked towards me with his head bowed down. His blonde hair and posture seemed familiar,

"Matt?"

His head snapped up, sky-blue eyes glinting in recognition. His mouth opened and closed many times before he managed to utter out the words, "Jesus, Leilah Peterson, is that you?"

I scrambled out of my chair before he managed to embrace me in a hug. I closed my eyes and smiled, knowing that he had never changed. His smile, his attitude, his demeanour all seeming very familiar to when we were little.

When we separated from our hug, I examined his face, and laughed, "You never changed Matty, always stayed true to your heart."

He joined in my joyous laugh, "Well, I did have a promise to keep to our ten-year-old selves."

"And I see that you did keep it. Thanks Matt."

We smiled before he recollected himself and started questioning me, "So, why how are you? How is your mom? Is there any particular reason that you have come back? Not that I haven't missed your company and all. It's just that this visit is very sudden."

"I am perfectly fine and so is mom. She is staying back in New York for now, something with work I suppose." I answered and looked outside to observe the bustling little town.

"Is there any reason that you have come home?" He pressed.

I stared, "Why? Are you not happy that I am back?"

"Of course, I'm ecstatic that you're home. It's just that... well... it has been nine years since either you or your mom has set foot in Mystic Falls. I mean you guys didn't even come for Elena's parents Funerals, or Jenna's and Johns."

Guilt slithered through me, "I am sorry that I couldn't make it, my father and his family were going through a rough patch you could say and sadly I couldn't just abandon them during that time. There was some dispute within the family that I would rather not go into detail about."

His eyes bore sympathy, "it's okay, we all go through difficult things in our life."

"Yeah, we just have to know which to put aside for later and which to approach head on."

He nodded his head and that action also seemed to bring him back to reality, to when he is supposed to be working and not casually talking to a friend, "Sorry." Matt laughed, "I have forgotten what must be the original intention for stopping at a restaurant. Is there anything I can get you?"

"Yes please, can I have a Hamburger, fries and a Large coke?"

"Sure," he wrote down the order on a paper, "I'll be back with your food soon."

As he started walking away from me, I called him back, "When do you finish?"

"In about an hour." It was reaching almost 4pm.

"Awesome, maybe you could come with me to Elena's house?"

"Sure." And he went on his way.

The food came, and as per usual for greasy food full of carbs, it was delicious. While I ate, I observed the local hang-out. Teenagers were gathered around the pool tables, each cheering for their preferred teams playing. Families milling among the tables, some were celebrating birthdays or just simply coming here for a family meal. Men and women of age were drinking alcohol by the bar, simply enjoying the taste of the beverage. Not so long later, I had finished consuming my food and waited for Matt to finish his shift.

When he had finished, he came to get me with a smile etched across his face. together, we walked outside and headed to our separate vehicles. I followed him until we came across the Gilbert Home.

Their standard two-story house seemed to blend in with the neighbouring houses. It was comforting, how their house seemed to blend in, giving me the impression that the people living inside seemed to also merge with the standard way of living. I was comforted because I might be able to find some simplicity with them in their way of life and living. Not having to look over my shoulder every damn second for someone or something to come after me, to threaten my life and others.

I had parked the car and slammed the door shut. Taking a deep breath, Matt walked up beside me and swung his arm over my shoulder, giving me some much-needed confidence. Together, we walked up the stairs and I knocked on the front door. The pitter-patter of steps could be heard within the house before the door swung open.

Sorry for the stop i just feel like it should be in two parts

Now, lets get one thing clear, Matt and Leilah are not going to be together, just another BROTP of Leilahs

See you guys next time😘😘