How Has Doctor Who and Fanfiction Change My Life?

Fanfiction Change My Life?
by Turtlii

26th of March 2005. The date of the first Doctor Who episode of 'New Who' (For those of you who don't know what I mean there is 'new who' and 'classic who'. Classic is anything before 2005 and after the very first Doctor Who episode that aired the 23rd of November 1963. (Is it bad that I know the date like the back of my own hand?)

As much as I wish I could remember my first time watching Doctor Who I sadly can't, I do know I was 4 at the time which is most likely why I can't remember since it has been a good 13 years since then, which makes me 17 now. Whatever went through my mind when watching that very first episode must have affected me very deeply. Ever since then I've spent countless hours in Toys R Us, running around the Doctor Who section gushing over all the sonic screwdrivers and figures you could collect, I forced my younger brother to be my companion and we went on our own adventures through time and space (If only that could really happen) I've got a TARDIS money bank that lights up and makes noise which works to this day after I was so clever and actually turned it off thus not draining the battery. (Thanks past me!) I've stuck with four Doctors throughout my childhood. I've cried, laughed and cried some more through each regeneration and death. (My parents definitely were concerned when seeing me crying my eyes out on many Christmas days. They seemed to learn by now that I'm just too deep in the fandom or at least I hope they have learned.) Needless to say, Doctor Who has stuck with me through everything in my life, it's my favourite TV show without a doubt.

This seemed to change when I hit secondary school. The time I spent watching Doctor Who died down between the ages of 11 and 14, (as sad and cliche, as it is I thought being a girl and watching a sci-fi show, was a thing boys did because I didn't see anything else other than that. The boys would watch the sci-fi and play the Xbox and the girls would look at photos of celebrities in awe. That was not me at all. I struggled with that being a demisexual that only just found myself last year I didn't understand why all of my friends would give any photo of Benedict Cumberbatch goo goo eyes. Of course, I still watched Doctor Who, remembering the countless times my dad missed the news because I was busy watching Doctor Who while we were on holiday in our caravan (my god I'm so British) forcing everyone else to shut up while I stared at the small TV that lost connection whenever someone moved from one place to another. (I never did apologise for making my family freeze like they were playing musical statues for 40 minutes. Whoops)

Going back to being demisexual Doctor Who helped me find that part of myself, with many Doctor Who fans (such as myself) believing that the Doctor is somewhere on the asexual spectrum the show and the fandom helped me understand. I could relate to someone who I looked up to as a better person. Having a wide range of characters on the LGBT+ spectrum or any spectrum for that matter is so important, Clara Oswald is a "canon" bisexual (it has been mentioned but never officially confirmed by anyone but it is written into the show hence the quotation marks) People relate so closely to her and I sort of do too being even shorter than she is. Yeah I know I'm only 17 but still, I'm very short for my age so I get the short jokes made against her, even though there are not many.

The point I am trying to make is that you have to allow your characters, (whether it is your OCs or canon characters) to be relatable (I have to at least include something helpful whether you have been told it 1000 times or not I feel like it is something I gotta do.) It is a huge piece of key information for any writer, whether it is for a TV show, a book, a movie, if people cannot relate they won't be able to form a bond with your characters, it is these bonds that make us laugh and cry as the readers/audience.

It is how good the writers at Doctor Who are at doing this that has made me stick with this one fandom so long, anyone, any age, can watch the show, it is clearly proven by the fandom being so wide in its age group with the 12th Doctor, Peter Capaldi who is a hardcore Doctor Who fan himself at the age of 60 compared to many new Doctor Who fans only being as young as I was when I watched the show for the first time. If you strip away all of the story arcs and the plots and only keep the Doctor what do you get? A Time Lord who is all alone in the Universe, only looking to show others what he wants to see. This is what I strive for when I write my fanfiction and it is all because of Doctor Who.

Talking about writing fanfiction myself, I never actually wrote a single piece of fanfiction until I joined Wattpad. I had never thought about it before. I heard about it but it was always talking about as the cliche One Direction fanfics (Sorry 1D fans) who meet one of the band members at the most random place and suddenly fall in love. I never realised there were amazing Doctor Who fanfictions around. One of those being one of the most amazing writers (in my opinion). WritersBlock039, with three Doctor Who series' that are so unique yet so alike at the same time she is one of the reasons I started writing Doctor Who fanfiction and still do to this day. She introduced me to the Marvel Universe and I've now watched (almost) all 18 movies. She knows her story arcs and her characters like the back of her hand. When I first found her fanfics it was one of the things I strived for the most; to be able to dive so deep into the emotions of my own OCs and make them come alive. Just like how the writers at Doctor Who do it on a day by day basis. They make you feel the emotion. I've laughed and I've cried at her fics and the DW TV show countless times. My goal is to pour so much emotion into my fics that people cry about my own.

So has Doctor Who and FanFiction actually made any influence?

Yes, it has, most definitely. It has taught me that knowing your character is so important, you also know more about your character than you think! Thinking that I didn't know each Doctors incarnation held me back from writing. Don't be scared to just write and if you can't remember something go back to your fandom, watch videos, read information and understand your characters, you need to understand them to get relationships correct. One thing I learned so much while writing the new found friendship between the Doctor and my OC for my first fanfic in my Doctor Who series: The Parallel Series. (Which can be found along with my other fics in that series on my profile Turtlii)

 (Which can be found along with my other fics in that series on my profile Turtlii)

What's the show that changed your life?

P r o f i l e   S p o t l i g h t:

BeyondSol
What lies beyond our solar system? Our imaginations of course! Cruise over to BeyondSol, the hub for stories that take place in the far reaches of space.