3

Day 3
The day I drank coffee with Saffron Walters

Today you stumbled in again, shaking off any remainder drops of rain from your jacket. Your hair soaked through, dripping down its own puddle of water.

Unluckily for me, I didn't serve you again, but I managed to get one of those astonishing smiles sent my way. You unzipped your hoodless rain jacket and placed it neatly on the opposite seat before pulling out that favourite book of yours.

You instantly began at it, unfolding the corner of which you had left from the last time you read it. It was almost mid-afternoon and there was hardly a soul about the café besides an old man: happily catching up on the world affairs with his newspaper. Another old couple finishing of their brunch of the day – and you. The girl with hair drenched through, who cared more about the next chapter of this book than the fact your t-shirt was almost see through from it, some parts randomly curling from the presence of water.

I made myself a coffee the way you have yours: no sugar, no milk. I took it and risked interrupting your book-life to pull up that chair opposite you.

You quickly glanced up to see who I was before refolding a new corner of the book and closing it, putting it to one side to greet me instead.

"Hi... erm..."

"Ethan Samuels, remember you flushed me down your toilet?"

You showed me another one of those smiles before looking me in the eyes for the first time – but you held your gaze: as if you were trying to figure something out.

I couldn't bother to figure out what is you were searching for as I helplessly gazed back to yours, looking at how much depth there was about the dark, blue eyes. You had a small scar just under your left eye, and it was the very first thing I had noticed about your eyes.

It was only then that you realised that perhaps the glance was too prolonged and you snapped away, giving a slightly uncomfortable cough. You smiled down to yourself before taking another sip of your coffee as I copied your actions and you chuckled, questioning what I wanted from you.

"A date?" You grinned, sounding so shocked. Why you sounded shock, I don't know, but it took me by surprise that you actually agreed along.

It was at that point then, that I wanted to know you. I wanted to see beneath that beautiful smile and the adorable laugh. I wanted to know about the scar under your left eye, to know about your fears, your worries and about the things that keep you up at night.

I wondered about the way your lips would feel.

You continued to smile at me every so often as I returned back to work from my unscheduled break, I wasn't the one to ignore the smiles either. I didn't want to miss a single one of those, especially if they were ones exclusively for me.

Day 3, the day I committed myself to a date with Saffron Walters.