The Devil's Sweet Snare

I sat in a daze in one of my classes.

“…Miss Marco?” I jumped at my name and looked up in wide-eyed horror at the teacher, who looked just about ready to throw a hissy fit because of my inattentiveness, standing next to me. I hadn’t heard a single word she’d said since she stepped into the room so I had no idea what she was talking about, let alone what class I was in, so sure enough I was pretty much screwed. I gulped and stole a glance over at the twins, who were sitting a few seats away from me snickering at my current dilemma, my expression pleading. They both subtly held up two fingers and I grinned confidently despite myself at Mrs. Whoever.

“Two.” I answered, assurance evident in my voice, and the twins burst out laughing. I slap a hand over my face and sigh heavily.

Freaking bastards.

“Miss Marco this is English.” She stated, giving me the evil eye.

“Right. I knew that,” I muttered under my breath as I shot a glare at the twins. I’d been way too preoccupied with the text Regina had sent me last night; it was too much for me to actually be able to function properly after reading it. She’s asked me to be there for Hunter’s first baseball match of the season, and the thought of ever going back to that place was just a bit out of the question.

Knowing I was in English, I gave the teacher a bored-out-of-my-mind look and asked her to repeat the question. My voice held no pleading, only authority and challenge because I was positive I could answer whatever hardball question she threw at me.

“Who was the American author, poet, editor and literary critic, considered part of the American Romantic Movement? He was best known for his tales of mystery and the macabre.” She narrowed her eyes at me and flashed me a knowing little grin, thinking I was just another one of her students who didn’t know shit about English. Well guess again.

“Edgar Allan Poe,” I answered and shot her a look that said, Is that all you’ve got? Since I’d actually gone and bothered to do research about the guy for our recitation I knew quite a lot about him, but I’d long since gotten bored waiting because she went around asking everyone alphabetically.

“Correct,” she said, disappointed, walking back to the front of the class to finish the recitation. She then went and called on Leon and Cam for laughing out loud and asked them more about Edgar. But both just looked like lost and confused puppies as they scouted their brains for answers and came up with nothing. They glanced pleadingly at me and the amount of satisfaction that rippled through me was just so gratifying that I couldn’t help but do the same thing they did to me.

I held up two fingers to my face and did that theatrical sad face; eyes somewhat closed and mouth hanging slightly open in a frown. The bell rang and I wasted no time cramming my junk into my bag and running out of the room, not wanting to have to face the wrath of the twins. In human form I easily outran them, in wolf; it was the other way around. I headed to the cafeteria and saw Kendall and Jayden out in the hall surrounded by slutty giggling love struck girls.

Why don’t you let them wake you up in the morning, then we’ll see who's in love.