Discovery

Mephiles teleported back to his cave.

It was nice that he'd finally found the vase, but he couldn't keep back his tears. After all this time, he finally found Tuck.

Tuck used to be an alley cat. When Mephiles first found him, he was only a kitten. He visited him as much as possible, giving him bits of food, water, and blankets when it was cold.

Life obstructed Mephiles's pattern, and he hadn't visited for several months. When he finally got to the alley, Tuck was gone.

He was devastated. He'd promised to give Tuck a home.

Now, he cried because he couldn't keep Tuck. Mephiles was more than happy that Tuck had a good home, but he was still very sad.

Once Mephiles calmed down, he put the stolen vase in its new spot.

Mephiles wiped his eyes and stepped back. He took a long look at his work. He gave a sad yet relieved smile. He'd finally finished his home!

At least... The furniture aspect of it. Mephiles's smile slowly fell as his eyes watered again. It still didn't feel like a home...

*WHUMP*

Something collided with his head, and he blacked out.

~A few minutes later~

Mephiles woke up, quickly realizing that he was tied up in a chair. Now, he had the ability to liquify his body, so he could easily slip through the bindings and escape.

But when he saw who had tied him, the thought of escape fled from his mind.

"Sh... Shadow...?"

The red striped hedgehog turned away from a plant he was examining. "Good, you're awake. Now explain this nonsense. And don't try anything. There are others that know who was robbing those stores."

Mephiles was in shock. "How... How did you find out that it was me? How did you find this place?"

"Answer my question!"

Mephiles flinched at Shadow's tone.

Shadow continued. "This is disgusting. Purposely copying my house. Breaking into people's homes. I could've been arrested for this mess."

"I'm sorry." Mephiles said quietly.

"I'm sure you are. What did you do? Break into my house and tried to get me framed? Trying to get me paranoid?"

Mephiles badly wanted Shadow to stop being angry with him. "No, I promise, that wasn't my intention!"

"THEN WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS!?"

His eyes watering, Mephiles tried to answer without his voice breaking, "Look to your left."

Shadow still didn't trust Mephiles. But he badly wanted to know why he would go out of his way to replicate his house.

"Don't move." he said, slowly stepping to the left. Shadow looked over and saw a small nightstand next to the couch. "I don't understand what you're playing at. I don't see any-"

That's when Shadow saw the picture. On the nightstand was a small heart-shaped picture frame.

Mephiles turned away. This was it.

Shadow picked up the picture and saw...

...

...himself.

Mephiles had a picture of him smiling. In a heart-shaped frame.

Shadow looked from the picture to Mephiles. This is why? Mephiles had some sort of affectionate obsession with him?

Shadow looked in the drawers of the nightstand. Mephiles had drawn pictures of Shadow. There were even drawings of Mephiles wearing a red collar, with a tag reading 'Shadow's Pet'. Some had Shadow holding a leash connected to said collar. Many pictures were of the two holding hands, kissing, and *ahem* several others.

Shadow looked through more of the drawings and found papers with writing. He thought that they were something official, but as he read them, he realised that they were stories. Mephiles wrote fictional stories of scenarios where Shadow would fall in love with him.

Shadow looked to Mephiles again. His look alike was still turned away, visibly shaking. It made sense to Shadow why he'd be so upset. After all, he had just gotten his emotions completely exposed.

That's NO excuse for Mephiles's previous actions, but still.

An idea formed in Shadow's mind.

He walked over to the silently crying hedgehog and paused, choosing his words carefully. "Alright. I still don't see the appeal of copying my house, but I'll settle a deal with you."

Mephiles didn't turn toward him, but his ears lifted.

"I'll let you become my maid."

Mephiles now turned, wide eyed. "I refuse to become your slave!"

His hands resting on the restrained hedgehog's legs, Shadow replied, "Not my slave. My maid."

"The difference?"

"I won't make any cruel requests. And I can pay you."

Suspicious, Mephiles asked, "How much?"

Shadow leaned closer. With his voice lower, he said, "I guess that depends on how good you are."

'Good Heavens, that sounded so naughty!' Mephiles thought. Honestly, there was little Mephiles wanted more than to serve Shadow. But he didn't want to show it. "And if I refuse this offer?"

"I'd be surprised if you did. It doesn't seem like you really want to get away from me."

"That is ridiculous! Why would I remain your prisoner any longer than necessary!?"

"Mephiles, you and I both know that you could've gotten away ages ago if you really wanted to."

Knowing well that Shadow was right, Mephiles blushed and looked away.

"But to answer your intial question," Shadow began. "I guess I'd just leave. I wouldn't bring you with me, and I won't ever visit this place again." Shadow was lying, but he knew he had to say something that would get under Mephiles's skin.

He didn't show it, but that thought made Mephiles want to cry. 'I can't let him leave me. Not when I'm this close to him. I just can't.' he thought. "What are the conditions of your offer?"

Shadow answered immediately. "Return what you stole, and pay for the things you can't. As for working for me, you'd go a month without payment for putting me through all this. We can discuss more afterward."

Mephiles, despite knowing he'd be cooking and cleaning for Shadow for free, rather liked the idea so far. But he had one more question. "And... I'd live with you?"

"It is the most convenient living option, so-"

"I ACCEPT!"

Both Shadow and Mephiles blushed at how loud he'd become. Mephiles tried again, more calmly this time. "*ahem*. I accept your offer."

Shadow smiled, knowing that Mephiles would have accepted. He untied Mephiles's bonds, their hands brushing several times.

Once Mephiles was untied, Shadow triumphantly said, "Alright, let's get started."

Mephiles stood, then closed his eyes.

After a moment, Shadow was wondering if he'd just made a huge mistake. Then, all of the stolen items disappeared.

Including the lights.

"Mephiles, what is this!?"

"Shadow, calm down. I'm only returning the items, as you said. I'll teleport to your house once I'm done paying for everything else."

Shadow saw a small flash, indicating that Mephiles had gone.