Chapter XIV

The reason I couldn't sleep came back to me.

'Just before I fell unconscious, I saw a dragon with the kindest eyes I'd ever seen.'

How was that possible? I was sure I'd seen a small dragon, but that was impossible. Dragons didn't exist. They never had and I knew that they never would. Natsu had seemed haunted last night for some reason. He'd looked at me with fear and panic for a split second before relief washed over his tense features.

If I was being honest with myself, the man was attractive. More than that really. I might even go as far as to say he was hot. And that skin tight muscle shirt didn't help either. The funny thing was that I didn't even think he realized it himself. He looked so innocent and confused when he saw that girl drooling over him like a piece of candy. I didn't blame her. If I hadn't been furious and trying to have him killed the first time I met him, I would probably have done the same.

What was I thinking about again?

Oh, yeah.

When I just couldn't figure out an answer for my vision, I remembered that Wendy had also been part of my situation. She might've seen the figure too. I decided to ask her.

As I strolled to the prow where Wendy was talking to Gray while he steered, the crew watched me with shocked looks on their faces. I guess my conversion was pretty sudden. It didn't really feel like it though. It felt like I'd known Natsu, Wendy, and the rest of the crew for as long as I could remember. I walked up to Wendy while she sat on a barrel and she jumped up when she saw me. Gray turned to look at me and I nodded at him in acknowledgement.

Wendy jumped onto me, clinging to me in a vice-like grip. I supported her weight by putting my hands under her legs that were wrapped around my waist. I laughed lightly at her. "Wendy, what's up?"

"I haven't seen you in forever," she whined.

I ruffled her hair. "It's only been a couple weeks, Wen."

Gray cleared his throat and I looked over to him. I dropped Wendy to the ground and she looked up at me with a sparkle of admiration in her eyes. "Lucy, I like your clothes," she gushed, grabbing my hand in her smaller one.

"Thanks, Wendy," I said fondly, squeezing her hand lightly. "Your brother helped me pick them out." I glanced up when I heard Gray snicker. "What?" I asked.

"It's just," he said, fighting to keep his composure, "picturing Flame Brain looking through those clothes," he gestured to me, "is pretty funny if ya ask me."

I reminisced the moment. At the time, I was too tired to notice it, but it was funny now that I thought about it. "Yeah," I agreed, snickering. "It is pretty funny."

Wendy looked up at both of us. "Since when were you two friends?" she observed.

"Since blondie here made fun of the Flaming Burrito." He held out his fist to me and I bumped it with my own, laughing loudly.

"You call him 'Flaming Burrito?'" I asked, still laughing.

Gray nodded, smirking. "We have an interesting relationship," he said. "I also call him Ash for Brains, Lava Brains, Hot Head, Pyro..." he trailed off, searching for any more names he used.

In the silence Gray left, a booming voice echoed across the ship for everyone to hear. "And Gray here is a stripping polar bear. Oh, yeah, he's also a frozen waffle, a popsicle..." Natsu's voice trailed off and I looked down to the deck to see his annoyed face. "Don't forget Ice Princess," Natsu said. "That's a classic."

I chuckled at their exchange, admiring the bond that they had that was so strong a crew member could call his Captain insulting names in a way that sounded almost affectionate. "Well, Dutch Oven is your new classic!" Gray shouted down at him.