Chapter Three-Regret

"Mai tea!" I called out, walking into the SPR office. As I walk to my office I listen for the sounds of Mai moving around, only to stop when I don't hear anything.

"Mai?" I head for the kitchen, noticing that there was no one here. I step into the kitchen, freezing and then falling to my knees at the sight before me.

Mai was laying in a puddle of blood, her head bent at an odd angle, her eyes staring at me blankly. Her lips were blue, her skin black and purple.

"You weren't there." My twin brother, Gene, steps out from behind the door. I meet his eyes but I find no mercy.

"You weren't there when she needed you most and now...shes dead." I collapse, holding myself up with my hands, my head laying on the floor as tears begin to fall from my eyes.

"Naru?" Mai's voice calls out to me. I jerk my head up. She sounded so scared...and she had every right to be. She was chained to a wall, her clothes barely hanging off of her.

"Mai!" I go to stand up but something just yanks me back. I glance behind me to see ropes holding me back.

"Hehehe..." My gaze snaps up to Mai and my blood boils when I see a huge man standing next to her grinning. Mai screams again as he takes a knife and slowly drag it down her stomach.

"LEAVE HER ALONE!!!" I scream at him, trying to use my PK to break the ropes, only to be disappointed. The man only laughs louder, continuing to torture her in front of me as we both scream at him to stop.

"NARU!!!" Mai screams out one last time before the man slits her throat. Her eyes go wide and then she couches once, blood splattering across the man's face as her eyes dim and her head drops.

"MAI!!! MAI!!!!!" I scream, unable to believe that the girl who survived all the cases we went on was finally dead.

"That's what you get for never being there. Live with the guilt." Gene's voice, my voice, comes out of the man's mouth.

I jerk awake with a gasp. I've had this same dream for the last week. A hand touches my arm and I turn in my seat to look at Lin.

"Are you okay Noll?" I nod and look out the small window to my right. I could see the wing of the plane we were on and the land beneath was the familiar land of Japan.

"I'm fine Lin."

*

*

*

"Noll, we're here." I glance up from my notebook to see that we were indeed in front of the SPR office. I hop out of the car and grab my single suitcase.

"Were you able to contact the others?" My guardian shakes his head no and I sigh.

"Fine, lets just head on up then and work from there." We continue walking until we reach the door and as I go to open said door Lin holds out a hand to stop me.

"Wait, my Shiki tell me someone's in there." I scoff and open the door, we could take them! Lin lets out a small groan before following me inside.

'What the bloody hell happened to my office?!'

Everything was changed around. The filing cabinets were moved to the corner, lining the wall and Mai's old desk was gone, replaced by a huge table. The couches were gone and in their place sat two love seats I didn't recognize and a bean bag chair or two. I couldn't tell if everything else was changed but I was definitely going to find out.

"Lin. Go check your office and the storage room." He does as he's told and I head for the kitchen, keeping a lid on my rage. I reach the kitchen and step inside before stopping, my eyes looked on a familiar person.

Their hair was brown and down to their shoulders. They wore a white t-shirt and black skinny jeans with black flats. I watched as they hummed a tune while reaching for the tin of tea leaves.

"Mai." I watch as her form stiffens and she turns around slowly, the tea forgotten. Her beautiful brown eyes widen and she gasps out one word.

"Naru..." I smirk at her and take a step forward. Her eyes never leave mine as I steadily grow closer to her.

"Hello Ma-" I was cut off by her hand striking my cheek harshly, my head snaps to the side as my eyes widen.

"How dare you!" I turn my head back to look at her, my hand going to cradle my, surprisingly, sore cheek.

"What the hell was that for?" I question her as my eyes search her angry eyes. She turns away from me and braces her hands on the counter that was behind her.

"Do you not remember? That night before you left?" I still at her whispered questions, memories of that night flashing through my mind.

I trailed my hands across her soft skin, loving her soft moans as she pressed herself further against me-

I shake the memory from my mind. I had to focus.

"Yes Mai...I remember." I watch as her form stiffens. Then she spins around again, this time her face is flushed with anger and her eyes sparkle with unshed tears.

"And yet you have the audacity to ask why?!" I nod, still trying to figure it out.

"You left the next morning before I woke up. No goodbye, no explanation, no way to contact you. I've been trying to reach you for the ten months!" She exclaims, her hands flying up to exaggerate her speech.

"Why were you trying to contact me?" I let my face go blank and my voice emotionless. I was letting my emotions get the best of me and I had to reel them in before my powers ran out of control.

"Because I had to tell you that I wa-" She was cut off by Lin walking in. They both still and then a loud cry rings out. Mai curses before racing out of the kitchen. I follow her, wanting to know why it sounded like a baby was in my office. Wait why was Mai even in my office? I'm jerked out of my thoughts when she opens the door to my office and steps in.

"What the...." I quickly make my way to the door and push it open not expecting what happened next.

"Shhh! Shhh Kaze mommy's here!" She coos as she walks behind the desk and bends down, picking something up.

"Mai what..." I trail off as I see the black haired baby in her arms. I watch as she rocks the infant, cooing words of comfort and love. I couldn't help but wish that the child in her arms was mine. The cries calm down and she turns to lay him back down in what I assume to be a crib behind the desk.

"What I was trying to say earlier was that I was pre-" She was cut off by a another cry, this one quieter than the other. I watch as she bends over again to pick up the infant. Imagine my surprise when she stands up with a different baby in her arms.

"Hush May. Everything's alright." May had dark brown hair that reminded me of Mai. Wait....

'Shhhh Kaze, mommy's here...that I was pre-...'

"Mai?" My voice echoes out, overlapping the cries from May. To my surprise the crying stops and silence has taken over the room once again. May is laid down in the crib and Mai takes a deep breath before turning to me-and Lin who had followed us but we're just going to ignore him for the time being-and confirming my thoughts.

"Naru I was pregnant with twins...our twins."

~__~__~__~__~__~__~__~__~__~__~__~__~__~__~__~__~__~__~__~__~__~__~__~__~__~__~__~__~__~__~__~__~

And that's a wrap! We're just going leave it there and hope that you don't try to track us down and kill us mercilessly! XD Happy Late 4th of July!!!!

YOUR WELCOME!!!!!! X3 We updated early cause we love you guys! Sorry the update is short compared to the last one but the cliffhanger is too good to pass up! XD

The next update will be on the 15th of July!!!

And in case you haven't noticed we've decided to set dates for us to update, which is actually working really well! Thank you for reading!

Vote!

Comment!

Fan/Follow!

~Akaina <3