chapter- 4

Beth stood there, fixed to  his beautiful but sinfully  blue eyes. She had no ideal what had just come over her, to be so bold . She was not going to let him think he was the boss. He would most likely be dead if it were not for her.
                Alex  liked that this girl , no make that a woman who was not scared of him. He liked how she went straight to the point, even if he could not tell her what she wished to know. He looked up at her and said, " name is Edward, got caught trying to steal a horse. The owner was none too happy about it. As for the Frenchmen I have no clue. I am also internally grateful you did not lift you're skirts and run to leave me so these said Frenchmen could  find me instead"..                                                                                                                                Beth had to bite the inside of her lip to keep her mouth from dropping. She had a feeling he was lying, and doing it so smooth with a smile. Well two can play this  game she thought as she smiled at him. Well horse thief or not, I found you and I promised to help you, and really I do not see how you could do me any harm in your current condition, so let us begin shell we."Just so you know this is going to be quite painful, for that I am truly sorry. Now please Edward lay back and let me start. I have very little time and lots to do, to set you right". With that said Beth took the pot and set it in the fire, then went to the basket and pulled out her stitching tools. She  turned around to see Edward still standing and said "come now what part of lay back did you not understand? I do not have time to dilly dally, if you do not want my help then wobble your way out and take your chances with your life. If you're worried about my ability don't be. It is true I have not worked on a person before, but I have stitched many an animal. There is a lot one can take from learning to sew and do needlepoint. Now please lay back and let me do what needs to be done". 

                Alex looked at her and said, well if you're sure my lady, then started to sit and  lay back. He looked at her with a Wonder, none of the women in London would have ever talked to him that way. She was so spirited and free he had to smile thinking about it. Then she handed him a thick twig and said you might need this to bite down on. Then his spirited angel went and got the pot of water from the fire and some rags from the basket she had brought with her. When she came back, Alex could swear he smelt cherry's as she bent down on her knees. Then when she went to move his shirt, he felt as if lightning had touched him where she touched. Her hands were so soft and warm. He knew that no matter the pain, it was worth meeting this intriguing, spirited woman with such a kind heart and beautiful blue eyes.
                Beth's heart was threatening to beat out of her chest as she told him what he had to do. Then when she started the task of moving his shirt and she felt his warm skin under her fingertips it felt as if it shocked her with lightning. Beth took a deep and studying breath then said, "this is going to be very painful, I am going to start with the easiest fix first, It will just be cleaning and needle work. Then the really hard part, I am going to take the bullet out of your leg, clean it and stitch it up. I would say you are very lucky it did not seem to hit any veins or else you would have bled out". Beth looked at him with steady eyes and asked, "are you ready, because I am sorry but I do have to hurry"? Edward looked at me and said, "let's do what needs doing and be done with it please".                                                                                                                                                                                                               Beth , started the task with a warm and wet cloth to wipe away any dirt, blood and grime. Then she took her needle, and started to stitch up his chest. She would say, "I am so sorry, but there is no other way to close such a big wound. Beth went as fast as she could . She hated to hear him in pain, but she had to hurry. She dare not be late for dinner with her parents. So she worked fast and efficiently. When she was done with his chest she paused for a minuet. Edward" said so what's next doc.? Beth, looked at him and said" the worst part i'm afraid. I have to get that bullet out before I stitch it up, keep it clean and dry you will be okay". Edward looked at her and said "let's get it done" and he put the twig in his mouth and bit. Beth admired how strong this man was being. She knew the stitching of his chest was painful, but he knew the worst was to come.  It was almost like he knew it would be better if he passed out before she started to dig the bullet out. It was time too start the hard part..                                                                                                  Beth looked at him and told him " I will make sure u have plenty of wood for the fire. There is soup and some sandwiches in the basket for you. The spring is clean, I will re-fill the pot for you and set it close. I have some clothes as well, I do hope they will fit. I will try to put the shirt on you, but you are a bit heavy...                         
'Alex, looked up at her and asked," are you not going to be here later to help me"? She looked at him then said softly " do not worry. I will return to check on you, but not till later this evening. I apologize but I do have other responsibilities that need my attention as well as u need my help sir. I only told you so as if you awake while I am gone, for I expect that you will pass out on this next part, brave or not. I have a Lady ship i must account for tonight. This silly dinner my stepmother has set up and I can not be late. Now if there is no more questions, I really must finish this without delay sir" she ended as she cut his pants a bit more so she could get at the wound easier.
                Alex looked up at her and knew she was right. Every minute she was away from her real life could mean her ruin. God for bid someone caught her stitching him up. That would definitely not do for such a caring, spirited and intriguing, not to mention stunningly beautiful woman. He looked up at the blue eyed angel and said " do what need's to be done with my thanks", knowing he was not planing to be there when she returned to check on him. He did not want to impose on her more then he had to. She has done so much more for him in just a day then anyone had in two years. Alex, wanted to go home but he had to finish. Her majesty had to know what the French were trying to do, right under her nose. With that though he stuck the twig in his mouth and braced himself for what he knew was coming.
                Beth saw that he was ready and she took a calming breath as she cleaned around the whole. with one more look and a small smile she said " I am sorry and I will try to be quick" and stuck her finger in probing for the bullet. She almost lost her nerve with the muffled yell's that came from him. Then she felt it and took her tweezers and used them to get a good grip on the bullet and pulled it out. With a sigh, she used a dry cloth to stanch the flow of blood before she started to stitch it closed. Glancing up at his face she was glad to see he was out. Sending a prayer up to the havens she started to stitch. When that was done she bandaged it up and tied it tight. Beth stood up and walked to the spring with the pot. She washed her hands thoroughly, then emptying out the pot she cleaned it, filled it and placed it next to were he laid. Feeling his head he moved but did not wake. He was really quite handsome she thought. She decided not to worry about the shirt, so checking the wood and putting a few more logs on. Beth bent down and covered him up whispering " to stay safe in till her return". Then she got up and left, she knew her day was nowhere near being done and she had best hurry or there would be a steep price to pay.