Untitled Part 5

Beth rushed up to her room and flew through her bath. Rosie was putting the last touches on her hair when they heard a soft knock at the door. That's when her step-mother Sara walked in looked Beth up and down. Then smiled as she said "I am so pleased to see you are ready on time. I was a little worried, but i am glad it was for naught. Well come on dear are guest will be here any minute." Beth got up and thanked Rosie, then followed her step-mother out of the room. As they went down the stairs Beth said " I still do not understand why the new earl of Leeksly would all of a sudden wish to visit. How long ago did he send his card? Because if papa had business with him, he would have sent him a card first". "As I said Beth, I believe he might be looking to court you. Everyone knows how beautiful and graceful you are, not to mention smart". "but mama, I am to old to be the only one he wishes to court". "Beth never say that! This is the right age to look for a husband". Sara stopped and touched Beth's' arm lightly, "to be completely honest I never understood why women have to be married so young, while men can wait till they fill like it. It really is outrages, but that's between you and I". Beth looked at her a little shocked at what she had said. She had never knew her step-mother thought that way, she was always the prim and proper lady. Beth wondered what other out looks about her step- mother were wrong. She also liked knowing she might have been wrong in her judgment of her, it brought a slight grin to her lips as she followed her step-mother down to the sitting room.
As both of them were sitting down their first guests were introduced at the door. Mr and Mrs. Wick, Erick stood up to greet them warmly. Ah, Stewart it has been along time since we have had dinner together with the wives. Sally you are looking more lovelier then last time I saw you". " Eric you truly are to much." Stewart smiled and shook Eric's hand as he said "yes, it has been to very long. I believe the last time was when we where going over some shipping arrangement's for a bit of you'r grain, and as i recall it went very well". Beth and Sara stood and went too warmly embrace Sally both telling that it was so wonderful to see them again. When Roger Winthrop and Eillie Winthrop were announced and the whole thing began once more. Roger was a wealthy banker who helped my father with investments and Ellie was the mother of three girls, wishing for a boy with the next one. Everyone got themselves settled as tea was brought in and served. Beth immediately found herself board with the conversation, it was always the same with the lady's. Talk of fashion,whats in style the new opera that was seen, children and needle point. She had always wanted to be part of the men conversations. Were one actually uses ones brain to talk. Then she herd her name and marriage in the same sentence and at once they had her full attention As Ellie asked not her but her step-mother, "so Sara when do you and Eric plan on finding a suitable match for Beth? I dare say shes close to being considered an old maid. Sara held her hand up just a bit as if to say hush now. "Well Ellie I do say don't you have three daughters of you'r own, one almost match making age?" " Yes, I do". She said with a glint of pride in here eyes. That's when Sara said the most wonderful and unexpected thing ever. "Well if you wish to rush her in to a marriage without love and only for a good match, that's your right. Eric and I believe Beth has a right for a happy and healthy marriage. One were she is loved, protected and valued. Not only from others but also her husband. When you rush to make a good match do you really know what kind of man they are? I have known women stuck in a loveless, abusive marriages that the parents thought were wonderful matches. Alas they were not and there was nothing to be done. So the parents and there daughter were then left with regrets instead of happiness, just because they were not patient or listened to the one they loved and cherished dearly. So Eric and I will listen and hear Beth when it happens and I guaranty it will. That will be a wonderful day with many blessings, don't you think Ellie"? I stifled a grin while Ellie looked for a lady's way out of the topic of conversation, that's when Olin Leeksly was announced. All eye were now on the new Duke of Leeksly.

He was slim and well dressed, tall with dark eyes and sandy brown hair. He entered the room with a beautiful smile that Beth could not help but think did not reach his eyes. Eric stood and said " so this is the new duke of Leeksly.. Your father would have been so proud to see you now". As The duke took Erics hand to shake he said " duke Neelie you are only to kind to have me to dinner. I have very much been looking forward to meeting you and your family". Just then Beth noticed the sly glance her way. She did not like it one bit, but smiled as she was introduced like all else in the room. With one exception he took his time when her father made the introductions. " Why lord Neelie I must say I had herd that you had two daughters but i only see one lovely lady here, who must be your youngest". Oh no Olin... May I call you that"? "why yes as long as I may call you Eric". "Of course I see no reason why not, your father and I knew one another for a long time. As for my daughter Elizabeth she is my oldest. My youngest Lilly is to be home from her last year at school in a few weeks. Well Olin as you are running a bit late dare I ask if you wish for tea first"? "I must apologies, my driver is new and lost his way momentarily. As for tea if dinner is ready then by all means let us eat, if not a cup of tea would be lovely as I would enjoy getting to know all of you better". Once again the glance Beth caught in her direction was unnerving. She had no ideal why, she had just met him. Try as she might there was just something about this new duke of Leeksly that was not to be trusted..... We here dinner is ready so we skip tea for the new arrival. The duke asks if he can escort me to the dinning hall and its not like I can say no thank you. He places my hand in the crook of his arm and we follow everyone else. Then of course he has to sit next to me... Just my luck, I just need to make it through dinner. But the way he looks at me, like I am some toy that he wants to play with irritates me.

I am glad to have the others there to carry the conversation. I find my self doing the oddest thing, only talking when asked a question. Sara even raised an eye brow my way. So I worked a little harder to participate in the conversation so shes not wanting to talk to much about it later. I do have a patient that needs my attention. I glance at the new duke and ask "so lord Leeksly why is it we have not met yet? A young man must love the galas in London"? " Well lady Elizabeth I have been traveling. My father was in to a bit of everything, everywhere. So I have been getting acquainted with all my new duties, I was use to traveling with him. So till recently I have been every were, but now I have a permanent residency in London. Do you plan on going to any of the festivities this season"? "Me, oh no. I only attend them to chaperone for my sister Lilly, she loves them so. I don't mind because I do like to dance as well and, I get to see old friends. But no I will not be there for a season. Mine was some time ago". "I would not believe it if you had not told me yourself" he says with a smile. At this point I am so grateful that it is time for the men and woman to go there separate ways. I tell the gentlemen that I had a lovely time and can't wait to do it again. Lord Leeksly says " I will most be looking forward to seeing you again lady Elizabeth. It was so nice to finally make your company, enjoy the rest of your night". I politely bow and take my exit with the other lady's.
I was dying inside waiting for the after dinner tea to be over. I just could not help thinking of that poor man alone and wounded. Wondering if he would still be alive when I got back to him and what if he was not. That about made my heart stop. What would I do if that happened? As a half hour turned into an hour Beth was so ready to be done with the whole dinner party. Just when she thought she would go mad thinking about how she was sitting at a party when the man who said his name was Edward could be dying it was finely time to wish the lady's good night.

Beth was starting up the stairs when Sara asked her to sit for a minuet. She could not say no for that would look strange. So she sat and waited for her stepmother to start the conversion. "Well Beth what did you think of the nights dinner"? "To be honest mother it was fine. Even when you had to come to my rescue about finding a husband." "Come now Beth we both know you did not need my help. I just thought you should know that you were not alone in how you believe", Sara said smileing. "Thank you for that kindness. It means a lot to me that you understand". "Beth what did you think of duke leeksly? He seemed very taken with you". "Honestly mama, I rather did not take to the way he looked at me like he did". " Aww, I see. Maybe he was just struck by your beauty and did not realize he was gawking". "Mayhap you are right. If that is all mama, I am quite tired and ready to sleep". "Of course. Sleep well my dear, I will see you at breakfast". "Goodnight mama".