IMAGINE ♔ patrick hockstetter

SONG: just a dream by nelly
WORDCOUNT: 930
REQUESTED BY: d-delicate
A/N: ngl, it does get kind of weird towards the end but it's only bc i wanted to make this like stephen king's perspective of patrick—so book canon patrick

• . • . • . • . •

I was thinking bout her, thinkin' bout me
Thinkin' bout us, what we gon' be
Open my eyes yeah, it was only just a dream
So I traveled back, down that road
Will she come back, no one knows
I realize yeah, it was only just a dream  ❞

Patrick rolled his eyes at his three idiotic friends ahead of him, that were currently throwing cherry-bombs into the stream of clear water that ran through a patch of brush behind the high-school. He leaned back against a tree, throwing his head up to look at the blue sky between the branches of the tree. Patrick's eyes closed, and he couldn't help but let his mind wonder to the thought of [Y/N]. Of what it'd be like if she were here right beside him at this very moment.

Well, first off, Patrick thought, she most likely wouldn't have agreed to skipping class to go light up some stupid fireworks just for the hell of it. But if [Y/N] did agree, then she'd probably be a nervous wreck and would be hanging onto his arm the whole time, looking behind them every minutes to make sure no one was around. Belch would make some joke about it, and she'd scoff and snatch one of the cherry-bombs from his hand and throw it towards the school just to make a point of how she, in-fact, isn't worried at all. Then a door to the school would slam and she'd jump and hide behind him.

Patrick smiled slightly at the thought of [Y/N] touching him, then he opened his eyes and the smile disappeared as he came back to reality. He let out a deep sigh and kicked himself off the tree. [Y/N] was gone, Patrick had lost her and it was all because of himself. He headed off back towards the school without saying a word to the other guys.

  ❝ I was at the top now it's like i'm in the basement
number one spot now she found her a replacement
I swear now I can't take it,
Knowing somebody's got my baby 

At lunch, Patrick had to leave the guys and head to one of the bathrooms in the back to cool off after seeing [Y/N] walk (hand-in-hand) next to a guy that Patrick knew liked her. Richard Chambers. He had once gloated about how great she was in bed to the guy, wanting to piss Richard off as well as get him to stop eye raping her.

Patrick let out a frustrated grunt and punched the paper towel container on the wall, imagining it as Richard's face. Going over to the sink, he turned the cold water on and proceeded to splash some on his face; attempting to cool his heated skin. Patrick felt tears weld up in his eyes and he panicked. He had never cried over a person before, especially an ex, and he wasn't going to allow himself to.

  ❝ When I be ridin', man, I swear I see her face at every turn
Tryna get my Usher over I can't let it burn.
And I just hope she know  that she the only one I yearn for
More and more I miss her, when will I learn?
Didn't give her all my love, I guess now I got my payback
Now i'm in the club thinking all about my baby

Patrick grabbed some paper towels and dried his face off and around his eyes, then looked up at the ceiling while continuously blinking to try and get the tears to go away. It's been over a month since she broke up with him; so why is he still feeling all of these emotions? [Y/N] isn't real like he is, in Patrick's mind. He couldn't possibly be this emotionally attached to a... person.

Patrick ran a hand through his long, dark hair and threw the paper towel in the trash before walking out of the bathroom door and heading back into the cafeteria. The whole way there he told himself he wasn't going to look at her, he wasn't going to allow himself to break down again; but just as he came through the door he bumped into a body going out of the crowded lunch room.

His heart skipped a beat when her voice came to his ears.

"Sorry," [Y/N] said apologetically. Patrick's eyes met hers, and his words caught in his throat. She gave him an awkward, pity smile, then stepped around him and walked off into one of the school's many hallways.

  ❝ I was thinking bout her, thinkin' bout me
Thinkin' bout us, what we gon' be
Open my eyes yeah, it was only just a dream
So I traveled back, down that road
Will she come back, no one knows
I realize yeah, it was only just a dream

When Patrick sat back down next to Henry, he didn't say anything nor try to join in on what they were talking about and instead continued to stare at the cafeteria doors, waiting for when she would come back through them.

A dark thought seemed to creep into Patrick's brain. What if [Y/N] is real? A different type of real. Not a challenging real like Avery was, but instead an accomplicing real? One where him and her were meant to work together, to be together? To Patrick, it'd explain why he feels a much more deeper connection to her than anyone else.

She was real and meant to be with him, and Patrick had screwed it all up and let her slip through his fingers.