IMAGINE ♔ henry bowers

TITLE: daddy issues
WORDCOUNT: 813
REQUESTED BY: XXXgirlVersion

• • • • •

"Let's go swimming," I suggest to Henry, out of nowhere. We were down at the Quarry, sitting a few feet from the edge of the cliff. His arms are wrapped around my waist as I sat in between his legs, my back pressed against his chest and he had his chin resting on my shoulder.

"O-" Henry begins, taking his head away from my shoulder, but stops mid-sentence. "We can't, we don't have swim suits." I twist my body around in his arms, cocking an eyebrow at him. Did this boy just turn down seeing me half naked?

He had a nuclear face on, so I gave him a smirk. "We don't need them." I told him, and I could tell he was having an eternal battle with himself. Then shook his head no.

"The water's probably too cold." He said, beginning to stand up.

I follow his steps, getting up from my sitting place. "Henry, it's literally a hundred degrees out. Why are you making up excuses? If you don't wanna go swimming, just say you so."

Henry looked down, hiding his emotions. "Fine, I don't wanna go swimming." He mumbled, but I could practically hear the lie in his voice.

"Why not?" I ask, not understanding why he wouldn't want to go swimming. It's so hot out the trees are fucking sweating.

"I just don't, okay Y/n! So drop it." He says, getting angry, but I could see behind his facade. He was always got upset and defensive when he's hiding something.

"You're hiding something." I pushed him on further, he'd break sooner or later.

"What?" Henry said, taken back.

"I know you, Henry. And I can tell you're hiding something, so what is it?" I crossed my arms, waiting for him to answer.

His face returned back to his usual stoic one, "Nothing." He tried to convince me, but when his eyes quickly glanced down at his body, he gave himself away. I take a step toward him and grab the hem of his shirt. "What are you-" I ignore him and lift his shirt up before he could grab my hand to stop me.

I let out a gasp at the sight of his torso, and Henry stiffens as I lift his shirt up further, exposing his body from his v-line to his collarbone. My eyes flick from bruise to bruise, cut to cut. Purple and blue marks littered around his rib-cage and abdomen, followed by a few cuts along his chest. Sorrow and pity tugged at my heart, but anger seemed to consume me the most. "Who did this to you?" I asked through gritted teeth.

"It's just from a fight I got into the other day." Henry shook it off, trying to pull my hand away so that his shirt would fall back down, but I wouldn't budge. I looked up at him, giving him the 'bullshit' look. He sighed, knowing he wasn't going to win this time. Henry's voice staggered as he said, "Remember how I told you my dad wasn't a good person?"

I nodded my head, waiting for him to continue, but he didn't. Instead he stared at me, waiting for me to catch on, and I finally did, my eyes widening in realization. "Your dad did this?" I reached my hand out and lightly touched one of the marks, Henry winced and then shuddered under my touch as a reaction. He didn't answer the rhetorical question.

I let his shirt go and it fell, covering up the horrid marks. "...Why didn't you tell me?"

"I thought-" he stopped to take a shaky breath. "I didn't want you to think I was weak." I could see the tears he was trying to fight back, and my eyes went glossy as well. It's the first time he's ever even been close to crying, or at least around me.

I reached a hand up to touch his cheek, and he leaned into my hand. "Henry... you're not weak. Not a lot of people could handle going through something like that," I say, referring to his dad abusing him. "The fact that you could go through that alone, makes you the strongest person I know." I watched as the first tears I ever seen from him fall from his eyes. "But I'm not gonna let you go through something like that alone anymore, because now you have me."

His tear-filled eyes met mine, and then he leaned in. I thought he was leaning in to kiss me at first, but instead Henry wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into his body. I hugged him back, and he buried his head into my neck. His tears wet my skin, but I couldn't care less.

•  •  •  •  •
[i didn't know how to end this soooo yeah]