Epilogue

Epilogue:

"Shane!" I scream as the demon drags me with its jaws latched onto my arm.

Hastily, Shane turns sending a bullet straight through the zombie's head. After detaching the remains of its jaw I fall into the dirt from the pain coursing through me.

I feel the trickle of blood run down my arm. Through the pain I raise my arm and continue to fight.

Shane slides in beside me, killing a mass of demons as he makes his way over. He grabs my free arm and begins to drag me. I do what any rational person would do in this situation and continue to shoot my gun. From what I can tell the numbers have decreased, but that still leaves the ones that are left. One is just as bad and twenty.

Shane stops as soon as we're behind a bolder. I wince in pain and turn my head to look at the wound. The wound that's bleeding black.

Black blood!

"What the hell?" I exclaim in my confusion.

Shane snaps his head from his position of fighting. "Shit!" That can't be good.

"What?"

"I don't know. It could mean a number of things."

"Forget it. Tear a piece of my shirt off of the bottom and wrap it. I need to keep fighting. Don't you dare try to stop me."

As soon as Shane has done what I've said I crawl over to the other side of the bolder. I brace my wounded arm along its rough edges. I shoot for what little while I can before a horrific pain takes over my body.

I roll over to my back and begin to scream. I clutch my arm and arch my back from the immense pain. I feel tears welling up in my eyes, but I'm not going to cry over pain.

Shane hovers above me and begins to smooth down what little hair is sticking to my forehead. He covers my mouth because of my screaming. I see his lips moving, telling me something, but I can't make out what he's saying. The pain has radiated throughout my whole body and I can't focus on anything else.

Suddenly, it stops and I feel fine.

"- I have to go back out there. I've got to finish this, for Mito, Seth, Braiden, and you." Shane says turning around to get up.

"Shane!" I yell, lunging forward and grabbing him with my dominant hand. I stop, not realizing what I'm saying. "Look." I pull the fabric and glance down at the dusty skin in amazement.

Shane stops and almost falls in amazement.

I glance up at the sky mouthing 'thank you.' "Come on," I say bouncing to my feet. "We started this together now we're going to end this together.

We both run out from hiding and finish off the last of the zombies. I stop, breathless I turn towards Shane. I begin walking towards him.

An arm reaches out form the dead on the ground and clutches my ankle. I step back in amazement and see the scare face that once was in need of help. But I don't let my memories fool me. I pull my gun from its slot and fire at her face. That's all the help I can give her.

As soon as I'm in front of Shane he hands me a handful of matches. I distance myself from where Shane is. I run the matches across the bottom of my boot and begin scattering them across the clearing.

When making my way back to Shane it feels as if I'm a young girl skipping through a field of flowers. But I'm in the much less innocent version.

"So, what about that kiss, Shane?" I ask, as we walk away from the flames.

"It'd be my pleasure, Carruthers." He replies, as he takes a hold on my waist and flips me towards him.

Our lips meet sealing out seven years locked in.