Chapter 5

Chapter 5:

Taking one last look at myself in the mirror, I adjusted my gauze on the front of my head covering the gash. Turning, I make my way out the door and into the long hallway of the large underground facility.

I continue to walk down the hallway passing the sleeping boys' room. I got up early to just be alone for a change, and get a change of scenery. The dark walls of the room haven't really helped with my mood.

Well, neither has the events of last night. I couldn't sleep after what had happened with Shane. I couldn't eat when super rolled around, either. I couldn't make any sense of my thoughts then. I can't even now.

My ears become alert as I hear a door close behind me and footsteps nearing. The hallway remains silent. I slightly become weary of what's going on. I don't turn around, still on edge. My heart begins to speed up, but I know to stay calm.

Within seconds I'm pressed against the wall, Shane's arms block any form of escape. He covers his hand over my mouth, stifling my scream. He removes his hand from my mouth placing it back upon the wall at my side.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I ask, raising my voice. Shane cuts in pressing a finger to my lips to hush me. Fiercely, I slap his hand away. "What's up with not talking to me last night at super? Not to mention that I can't even think straight. God, Shane!"

"Carruthers, the kiss meant nothing." I can't look at him as he says this. He's still standing blocking my exit. "Nothing. So don't think about it."

"Shane- I-" I pause, my voice cracking from the built up of emotion. I continue to stand staring blankly at the wall as Shane leaves down to the living quarters.

Braiden walks out of his room, shirtless with a pair of jeans hanging loose on his hips. As he walks by he turns his head to look at me. I push back the tears that are threatening to fall, Braiden just looks at me his full lips are pulled into a smirk, almost as if he knows everything.

As soon as he's gone I slam my fist against the wall. From the amount of anger raging through my body, I begin to shake. I continue with my assent down the hall toward the training center, I know that I must redirect my anger towards something useful.

As soon as I reach the small  observatory room adjoining the training center I strip from my shirt. I remain in my black sports bra, army green pants and black combat boots. Before entering I snatch a pair of headphones to block out the pounding of bullets into the dummies. I press the code into the pad beside the door. The door becomes ajar letting out a small gust of air.

Angrily, I slam the door locking it behind me. I turn to the wall full of weapons, snatching a pair of sais. Making my way over to the keypad on the far wall, I punch in the five digit number, also known as a full blown attack.

Around fifty dummies arise from underneath the floor and begin to move towards me. Taking in a deep breath I let my present emotions take over, going into a completely ravenous state of mind.

Violently, with immense amounts of vigor I force the sais across the throats of the dummies. A sweat beaks out over my skin as I continue on my mission to kill. Although, it's not any of the Zombies, it still helps with my skill and it's good for me to blow off my steam this way. I'd rather gain some skill instead of actually punching Shane like I want to.

Deciding to be a little bit adventurous, I head for the gun wall, leaving the sais in a fake zombie's head. Since the dummies are motion censored I have to be agile in my pursuit. Hastily, I clutch a Kimber 45 from the wall, load it, and plant four bullets into two models head's. I continue to shoot until the bullets run out. Quickly, I dodge a falling enemy by doing a head roll across the floor. I toss the gun aside and decide to try my luck at archery. After a few shoots I discard the bow and arrow with the gun. I maneuver my way throughout the zombies. I twist ones neck off and before it falls I brace off of, flipping over the others. As I land I sprint to the knives. I grab a handful pitching them through their head's.

Abruptly, the session stops, and I'm not even halfway through. The automated voice comes on stating, "I'm sorry, your session has been temporarily stopped. To continue-" but it comes to a halt. I turn to the door, seeing that it has been left ajar. The slightest movement causes me to throw the reaming knife in my hand.

"What the fuck do you want, Braiden?" I snarl, as I head toward the knife and yank it from the wall. He's lucky that I didn't hit him.

"Wonderful job. But you're going to get killed doing some of those stunts that you pulled," he instructs. Immediately I tune him out, I hate when anyone other than Shane corrects me. But then again I don't really listen when Shane does either.

Agitated, I roll my eyes and head for the door. Just before I reach my escape, Braiden grabs hold of my wrist. He yanks my backward and I slam right into his chest. His hand wraps around my bare back in a possessive way.

"Let go of me!" I demand, trying to free myself from his grasp. Instead, he decides to slam me against the glass window of the observatory. I catch a glimpse of his light blue eyes that now look like ice, I'm slightly frightened by the smirk drawn across his lips.

"You kissed Shane."

"It didn't mean anything!" It feels slightly like the truth, but I know deep inside me that it means so much more that 'anything'.

"Then if it didn't mean anything, kiss me." -His free hand slides down my chest and rest on my hip, way too close to my zipper.- "Or better yet-"

Before he has a chance to finish his sentence, I slide downwards away from him. As I stand up I slam him against the wall and grab his right arm twisting it to the point that if I popped my wrist the right way I'd break it for sure. I slide the knife, that I had forgotten that I had, onto the small of his neck. One quick movement and he's dead. But I don't want to kill him. Only scare him enough to leave me the fuck alone.

I move to where my lips are inches from touching his ear. "Go to hell."

"I'm working on it, sweetheart."

He rears back his elbow, hitting me in the stomach. I stumble back, unable to catch my breath. His fist comes in contact with my bottom lip, splitting it open. That's it, I'm done playing nice.

"You bitch!" He yells, as I lodge the knife into his shoulder. With the time I've bought myself I  slam my foot into his chest. He falls to the ground, clutching his shoulder and trying to remove the knife. I plant my foot into his throat causing him to gasp for air.

"Next time, I'll kill you." I spit the collected blood from my mouth at Braiden.

I release my foot and head for the gun wall. I lace a belt with holsters through the loops on my pants. Placing two Glocks in their appropriate spots on my hips, I adjust the straps on my thighs.

Walking past Braiden I glare down at him, still trying to catch his breath. I position my hand on a Glock, making sure he sees it, as I walk out.