Chapter 10

Chapter 10:

My dreary eyes drag open to the lightlessness that still surrounds me. It takes me a moment to realize where I am. Shane's snoring fills my ears and I can slightly make out where everything is in the pitch black room. I don't move, paralyzed with so many emotions.

I sit up and let my feet hang over the edge of the bed. As the sheets fall from my body I feel a sudden coolness from the fan that sends chills down my spine. It takes my mind a second to register the fact that I'm not wearing any clothing. Not one stitch.

"Holy fuck," I lightly yell in a whisper. I mean no pun on the words that I just spoke. Had I really slept with Shane? My heart begins to race and my palms become sticky with sweat.

The thing is I'm not resentful or ashamed. In fact I feel- well there's really no way to explain the way that I feel.

Sadly, I can't remember any of it. And the worst part is I don't know why. The last thing that I do remember from the night before is walking into Shane's room after-

Seth died.

It's still hard for me to swallow the fact that he's gone.

It's all because of this damn Zombie Apocalypse. That was never supposed to happen! None of this was supposed to happen.

We shouldn't be alone here. I should still have my family. Everyone should. I should've never threatened to kill Braiden. I should've never met Roslyn. Seth shouldn't have died!

And I should've never had sex with Shane!

All of this feels like a horrific nightmare that no one can seem to escape.

With my thoughts all jumbled in my mind I arose from my current spot in Shane's warm bed. I bent down to the ground to search for my clothing. Within a few seconds I found my pants. Hastily, trying to make little noise I slipped them on. I snatched the first shirt I found and tugged it on. I didn't have enough time to realize that it was Shane's shirt before I was out of the door.

Not checking my surroundings, because I was sure everyone was asleep, I quietly made a rapid retreat to my room. I slowed my pace as I passed the mirror and backed up to see myself once more. I threaded my fingers through my disheveled hair and admired myself in Shane's shirt.

A strong hand clutched my upper arm and spun me around. I try to gasp as Braiden shoves me into the mirror, causing it to shatter. Sliding a knife across my throat Braiden says to me. "One sound and you're dead."

I release the breath I didn't realize I've been holding because of the shards of glass piercing my back. I fixate my gaze on Braiden and study his strange behavior. Usually, I would find this outburst sort of normal. But there is something seriously wrong with him that I can't quite tell.

"Now listen to me." Braiden says in a tone that makes me wonder if he hasn't already became part of the devil's army. "I'm leaving here. And you're coming with me."

"But you'll-" I try to choke out through the knife pressed against my neck.

"I said not to speak!" He yells, forcing the knife slightly harder into my throat. He releases me to only knee me in the stomach. I cry out in agony and clutch my stomach as I fall to the hard tile. Braiden bends down snatch a handful of my hair and forcefully pulls my head up with it. "Listen, bitch!" Braiden whispers near my ear. "You will come with me or-"

"Braiden! Let go of her!" Shane demands as he makes his way down the hall.

Hastily, Braiden rises, taking me with him and pulling my body into his. "What are you going to do if I don't? You don't scare me," Braiden snarky comments while running his tongue up my chin and ending on my ear. He takes a firm grip on my ear lobe with his teeth making me wince from the pain. Normally someone latching on my ear wouldn't cause me pain, but his grip was too much.

Within seconds Braiden's hold is gone as Shane tackles him to the ground. I'm too stunned by Braiden's actions to move or make out what's going on. As soon as I hear a grunt from Shane I know what's happening. I try to move towards Shane to help get the knife out my Braiden backhands me sending me to the floor.

I'm done dealing with his bullshit. I arise from the floor and charge after Braiden. I hit his knees and send him to the ground. Red clouds my vision as I begin to punch Braiden. I hit his jaw then his nose. Standing I give a good kick to his chest. The outcome I wanted is achieved as he begins gasping for air.

"Carruthers," Shane calls. I turn towards him to see that he's about to pitch me the knife. I snatch it with stealth and yank up Braiden from the ground. With my free hand I shove him against the wall. Taking the knife I slam it into his stomach.

"If," -I twist the knife through his tissue of his stomach- "you come back here, you better be dead," I twist the knife once more, as blood runs down my fist, then I release him to let him fall on the tile.

I run over to Shane, who is currently face down on the tile. Before lifting him off the ground I study his bare back. Pink scratch marks cover his shoulder blades and fade downward.

The memories that were suppressed hit me all at once. Not the best time.

I carry him back to his room and set him on his bed. I begin searching through the draws near his bed, finding nothing. I head towards the draws across the room, hoping there is something there. But I'm put to a halt as Shane grabs a hold upon my wrist and whips me around.

"Thank you," he says through a pain filled raspy voice.

"Don't mention it. I should be the one thanking you. You saved me," I reply as I head towards the draws once more. "Yes," I exclaim as I find the serum Shane had used once on me.

I sit next to Shane and begin to spread the ointment on his wound. The silence is nice, but eating at me at the same time.

"Shane?" I ask in a small voice.

"Yes?"

"Those marks on your back." I point towards them and trace a few with my finger tips. "Did I-" I stop as soon as I notice the smug look on his face. "You would."

"Would what?"

"Give me that look." I say as I arise and make my way towards the bathroom to wash my hands and get the gauze. I await Shane's smartass reply, but there isn't one. I make my way back to the room to see that he isn't there and the door is left open.

I barge into Mito's room asking, "Where's your brother?"

"He said he was going to train or something like that. He told me to tell you that he wants to be alone for a little while. So you can hang with me if you want." Mito replies with a smile.

"Alright. Let's go watch a movie in the living room."

I jolt up from the couch as soon as I hear the door, from the elevator shaft, opening. Snatching a gun from the wall, I glance around the corner.

Shane lurks through the hallway, blood dripping off of his muddy body, gazing forward. I drop the gun and rush towards him. His weapons he's holding clatter to the floor and he continues to stare aimlessly off into space.

"This is where I draw the line. I'm not going to stand here and let Mito get bitten and die. Or you become so insane you go off on a suicide mission. The end is near. And it begins with us." Shane directs his line of sight towards me.

"Tomorrow, every one of those demons go back to hell!"