Chapter XVI

Only three hours after Alfred had first fallen into a deep sleep, his peace had to be broken, once again, by Emilia who came into the room a little bit before 8 in the morning to notify him about breakfast that was soon to be served down in the hall. He was still new here, and needed someone to show him where it was.

He got up from bed drowsily, lost and confused about where he was on a moment until she taught him an exercise on how to bring himself back to reality. It was more of a tactic for people with bad anxiety, but also helped those who couldn't find themselves in current time and space. And after he did realize what his surroundings were, she took him to the ordination so he could get another shot of medication that was supposed to keep him sane for at least half of the day. He got dressed in his usual clothing that he had packed from home, his typical blue t-shirt and trousers, and obediently followed her towards the hall downstairs where all the other patients were, already having breakfast.

As soon as they arrived, Emilia went over to the other side of the room to spend time with some other nurses, doctors and psychologists, while the patients ate on the side of the room Alfred was fearfully standing in.

If he was in his healthy state, he'd be the first one to start a conversation and socialize, take the plate with food and sit next to a random person, entertain the whole table, even get into deep existential talk after five minutes of knowing them. But now, he stood there while others were chatting - some remained silent, while some managed to make small talk.

He was far too afraid to even ask for the food. This ambient was scary to him, he didn't like anything about this place and wished he could run away back to safety, back to the people he loved and who he knew loved him back. It felt horrible being stuck somewhere he didn't want to be.

"Why are you standing here?"

A voice from behind instantly startled him, and he turned around reflexively - in moments like these, he was torn apart between wanting the voice to come from an actual person, or wanting it to rather be all in his head, and he didn't understand why that dilemma even formed in his thoughts.

Luckily, it was a real person. Someone he had never met before. And the guy was obviously a patient, with those crazy looking violet eyes, a spark of madness different from anyone Alfred had seen. He wasn't wearing a uniform, but casual patient clothing just like he himself did.

Suddenly, he was hit by a wave of tension and unease, wondering whether the man was going to hurt him or not. Right now, he didn't really feel like being killed.

"I could ask you the same thing." Alfred said with a deadpan expression on his usually very expressive face, crossing his arms defensively, not knowing how to properly act in situations like these. He himself wasn't a mentally stable person, so how was he going to deal with someone else who could have been like him?

"I was being polite, you got defensive. Watch yourself." The guy smirked a little, but it was almost scary. "My name is Ivan." He held his hand out in invitation for a handshake, yet Alfred was far too apprehensive about him.

Did he just tell him to watch himself? Who did this guy think he was, the president? He wasn't going to let himself be bossed around by anyone.

"Good for you, Ivan. I'm not telling you my name." He scoffed and glared the taller man right into his eyes. Not only was this Ivan guy taller, but he seemed bigger and stronger than the American, who suddenly felt really small beneath his mad gaze. Yet he couldn't help but fight back someone who wasn't even fighting, no matter how hard he tried to sustain himself.

"Fine, I'll just call you Jones."

"How do you know my--"

"Check your ID bracelet, you fool. It's visible from kilometers away, just like everyone else's."