Chapter VIII

"Will you marry me?"

After the words were finally uttered, Adrienne felt time stop entirely. The people in the restaurant all had their eyes on the two of them, waiting for her to answer, of course, positively. She had been waiting for this moment to happen since she had first fallen for Matthew, and now when it was really happening, she did not know how to give a proper reply.

It was too real, too good to be true. Placing a hand on her chest, she felt her heartbeat quicken, and a wholehearted smile involuntarily spread over her face. The excitement was just like all of those movies showed.

"Yes! Of course I'll marry you!" She said through a string of delighted laughter, and jumped out of her chair as Matthew slid a beautiful, shining silver ring onto her finger and embraced her tightly, feeling as if a weight had fallen off his chest at her words. For him, it was tense up until now, when he could only feel Adrienne, take in her scent, her love... 

Her words were accompanied by a loud applause from the people watching and sitting at their tables. Everybody was happy for them, and they showed it clearly.

"I love you so much", Matthew whispered, lightly kissing her on the lips and sharing a loving gaze, keeping eye contact the entire time.

This was definitely the best evening of his life, and it would only get better from now on. The night was still young, and they needed to celebrate it well.

As they sat back down onto their chairs, both still shaking out of shock, they laughed happily to each other and weren't able to fully comprehend what was going on. 

"I wasn't expecting this at all." Adrienne softly said, holding her lover's hand in the most tender manner. "I can't stop shaking." 

"Well, I wanted to show how much I appreciate you for being in my life. I-I really believe you're the one for me, no matter how weird that might sound." He responded shyly, averting his gaze to the window next to their seating. He closed his eyes on a second, just taking in the magic of the moment that he wanted to never end.

"I think the same thing, all the time... I'm so happy to have you with me. God, we can be such hopeless romantics sometimes..." 

Reaching for her black designer purse, she took her phone out of the small side pocket and simply had to call Elizabeta, her best friend, to make the announcement immediately. After all, they had a deal to tell each other first when they got engaged, or did anything related to romance. That's just what best friends do.

"Who are 'ya calling?" He asked curiously, chuckling at her still excited face.

"Liz. I gotta tell her everything!"

Matthew nodded with a smile, but a memory flashed in his mind that would have usually made him happy, yet now it was just uncomfortable to think about.
He remembered a conversation he had with Alfred a few years back about how he would be the first person to ever know if Matthew got engaged, but now he didn't even consider calling him to announce the big news as Adrienne cheerfully shouted the words into her phone to Elizabeta on the other side of the line, even if it was the middle of the night in Hungary according to the time zones. The girl still answered the call, thinking how it was definitely more important than sleeping.

Perhaps I should call him... If he would even care. He doesn't need me, does he?

Or maybe I'm just overreacting?

Wait, what if my brother isn't okay? God knows what might have happened to him because of me going away and leaving him with silence for the first time.
I know how much he hates silence. And Arthur can't be with him every second of the day.