25. Jeffrey Lin

Dedicated to: RewindTour2011

Congrats on winning the comment challenge, and thanks for the feedback! :3

Shoutout to: 0KeepDreamin0

Thanks for your comment! :)

So as I’m sure you’ve realized, with everything that’s happened, Alex and Rachel haven’t been going into detail about what they’re actually at Smile for. Hopefully this chapter will clear up why.

            25. Jeffrey Lin

            Date: September 13th

Before the mission went south Adrian told Kyle that Jeffrey Lin was associated with our original target. He was said to be related to Maxwell Thomas through his older sister, who was said to be married to Maxwell,  The information was first recovered by Alex. But for some reason, Alex didn’t report it.

       And I’m betting it’s a good reason.

       I look over at my partner now. He and I stand approximately five feet apart, both our arms crossed, both our eyes focused on the one individual who sits in front of us, his hands tied behind his back.

       This particular individual has reddish-brown hair and brown eyes. He stares back at the both of us. Relaxed, not threatened at all. On his face he wears a lopsided smirk, and there is an arrogant gleam in his eyes.

       “So,” he says. “Is one of you going to ask me some questions, or am I just here for decoration?”

       Every time the boy speaks I remember how much I don’t like him.

       Alex steps forward. “A little of both, actually,” he responds, “though I think you ought to get some serious work done on your face before we can start calling you a decoration of any kind.”

       Jeffrey loses the smirk. When it’s completely gone, Alex smiles at his frown.

             “Now,” Alex continues, “about those questions.”

       I watch the way Jeffrey reacts to Alex’s words, and then I start thinking. Something isn’t adding up here. Why is he so calm?

       Two random classmates of his basically just kidnapped him and brought him to a random room inside the school, and he isn’t fazed in the slightest. He even wants us to question him.

       Suddenly I stop thinking.

       “Wait,” I tell Alex.

       He listens, turning to give me a raised eyebrow.

       I turn to Jeffrey. “That’s all you have to say?” I ask him, narrowing my eyes. “You don’t want to know why we took you, or where?”

       Jeffrey smiles at me. “You’d be surprised by how much I know.”

       I blink at him, then turn to Alex.

       We made a mistake. Jeffrey knows much more than we gave him credit for.

       A few minutes ago we took him blindfolded into our off-the-grid room in the west wing. He was resistant at first, so I tied him up; an action I didn’t think through. After removing the blindfold Alex and I planned only to ask him what he knew about the kidnappings, and then get him to tell us how to sneak away from Smile after curfew without being detected. That’s all.

       But the look in his eyes is a look I don’t like.

       He seems to think he’s one step ahead of us, if not several. And thinking back to the intel Alex recovered about him, that’s not unlikely.