Once Upon a Nightmare (Vampire Teacher/Student) 11

-Chapter 11-

Michael drops me off, about a block from my house so my mom won’t see him. I thank him again, and walk home. When I get in the door, she is in the kitchen, “Sorry mom, I wanted to go to a music store. I didn’t know the way, and someone from school offered to go with me. I stayed at a hotel because it got late and I took a taxi home.”

“At least you answered your phone,” She sighs. “Next time leave a note or something, when you stay out all night.”

“I will,” I go up to my room to change out of the dress. I put on sweatpants and a tank top and put my auburn hair into a messy bun. I start on my homework. 

I have to print out a thing for English, and do another essay for History. It takes about an hour to finish. When I go downstairs for a snack I note that my mother and brother went out, again. No doubt, to see my father. Why do they need to visit him so often? It’s not like he is being released any time soon. 

After my quick snack I return upstairs to finish the graveyard painting. It doesn’t take long, I rush because the fear from my dream still lingers. 

As I look at the painting I can see right where my coffin would be and all the corpses. I could see where Michael had been standing and where Luke was. If I looked close enough, I could even see their fangs. Of course, that was all in my mind, I didn’t paint my dream into the painting. 

I look at the piano keyboard in my room and I think back to Michael. I wonder how good he is at playing his instruments. I taught myself how to play the violin and piano when I was ten, this was before I took up art. I needed something to do to occupy myself. 

I take a few steps towards the piano, sit on the small bench and begin to play and sing along to the first song in the music book, 

“I got a lot to say to you, yeah, I got a lot to say

I notice your eyes are always glued to me

You're keeping them here and it makes no sense at all.”

As I let my mind wander, I thought of how Michael looked at me today. The torn expression from my dream. He looked like he regretted having me at his house, like it was a mistake, but when I sat with him on the couch he looked so peaceful. The whole time I was his main focus. 

“They taped over your mouth

Scribbled out the truth with their lies

Yeah little spies

They taped over your mouth

Scribbled out the truth with their lies

Yeah little spies.”

I thought of how Michael was the one who ever believed I was telling the truth. Anyone would have left me now, even Luke had, but Michael didn’t. Even after I punched him.

“Nothing compares to a quiet evening alone

Just the one, two of us, who's counting on

That never happens, I guess I'm dreaming again

Let's be more than this.”