Chapter Eight - Filler

Jason and I walk into the nurse's office, which is just an extension of the main office, where we are greeted with a friendly smile.

"Hello children, what can I do for you today?" the lady asks. She's petite, but has a strong build with clear skin, and salt and pepper hair. There are hints of wrinkles around her mouth and chocolate eyes. I come to the conclusion,they're most likely from years of smiling.

"Hello, Mrs...." I look at the oddly spelled last name on her desk. My face distorts into an awkward smile.

She laughs, her rosy cheeks boldly showing against her light brown complexion. "Just call me Mrs. Kathy, dear."

"Okay, Mrs. Kathy." I smile. " I need you to check my head. I kind of...had an accident."

"Oh my dear!" She rushes from her desk towards the door where me and Jason are standing. She grabs my hand and motions for me to sit on the nursing bed. Immediately, she grabs her materials to begin doing work. "Young man, could you please wait in the hall for a brief moment?"

"Sure, no problem," he says walking out and shutting the door behind him.

Standing in front of me she begins asking questions. She slides her latex gloves on. "Now, Ms..."

"Parker." I complete.

"Ms. Parker. Exactly what kind of," she pauses briefly to examine my scalp, "accident did you have?"She inquires in a stern, motherly tone.

I quickly think of a short, but believable fable to tell. "I fell." Technically speaking, this is true.

She walks out the door. I can hear her telling Jason he can return to class, but he denies.

"Sorry, but I can't do that," he says. "I want to make sure she doesn't have anymore accidents." The nurse sighs, then walks back into the office.

"You fell?" she asks giving a quizzical look with a tone of disbelief.

"Yes m'am. I was walking outside near the building. My foot coordination got all messed up and I slipped slamming my head into the wall."

She looks at me for a moment. "Must have been a bad fall, do you need me to check your ankles also?" She begins to grab one of my feet. I put my hands out to stop her.

"NO!..No thank you. All I need you to do is check my head," I respond with a smile trying to make up for my outburst.

She examines my head a while longer, asks me more questions, then finally tells me it looks fine, but I'll need to schedule an appointment at the doctors to get a scan of my head - just to make sure there isn't any internal problems. She gives me two excuse slips.

"Thank you Mrs. Kathy." I walk as fast as I can into the hallway to meet Jason.

"How'd it go?" he asks.

"It was fine. She told me I'll need to schedule a doctors appointment just for safety precautions."

"Okay. Hey, Sasha what class do you have next?"

"Gym." I say as we walk out the main office.

"Me too," He looks down and smiles at me. I look up and smile back.

"Well let's get to class then!"

He lifts me up bridal style and begins walking. "Yes, your highness, we shall!"

"J, are you serious right now? That was so corny!" I laughed.

"Yeah, I know." He gives a deep laugh. "If this is what I have to do to keep you smiling, then I'll climb Mount Everest!"

"You're such a drama king!" I giggle at his actions.

The walk to the gym take us about twenty seconds. When we get there he gently places me down then makes a loud sighing noise while grabbing his back.

"Damn girl, how much you eat?"

I playfully smack him on the neck. "Too much for you to handle?" I ask giving a playful smirk.

"Too much?" He raises an eyebrow. He then begins moving closer, slowly moving his hands toward my waist. "Baby, you're ju...."

"SASHAAAAA!!!!" Breighlynn screams as she slams into Jason pushing him away. She pulls me into a tight hug. "I MISSED YOU! DON'T EVER SCARE ME LIKE THAT AGAIN!" She gives me a pouting face. "Oh and here's your bag. You left it in the cafeteria." Yeah, my best friend is awesome.

I laugh and hug her back. "Thanks and I'm sorry....Bre..why aren't you in your P.E. uniform?"

"I changed. I figured you weren't going to be participating today, and I rather talk to you instead. Plus the uniforms aren't exactly what you call..attractive."

"Did you ask to change?"

"No, why would I? They would have just told me no."

I shake my head. As if on cue, we turn to where Jason is. He's rubbing his shoulder, not looking too thrilled. Breighlynn and I glance at each other.

"Awwww, the baby's hurt!" We coo, attacking him and pinching his cheeks. "Awww, don't cry! It's going to be okay!"

He slaps us away laughing lightly. "So not cool."

"You know you love us," Breighlynn says.

"Yea. Yea. Yea. Sure. Love...that's what they call it."

Jason and I hand our slips to one of the gym teachers, then take a seat next to Bre in the bleachers.

Brian and some other guys from the football team are in the gym, but they're playing basketball and have no interest in anyone around them whatsoever.

"Um...Breighlynn...you should really think about joining the football team. That was one hell of a hit." Jason says still rubbing his shoulder. Bre and I laugh.

After a while of random conversation, the bell rings.

Breighlynn and I hug each other. As she's walking away, I call out "YOU'RE STILL COMING EAT PIZZA LATER!?"

"WOULDN'T MISS IT!!!" She shouts back.

"Sasha?"

"Yes?" I turn to see Jason only an inch away from me.

"I'm going change into my practice uniform, can you take my bag with you outside?"

"Sure." I respond grabbing his schoolbag.

He smiles. "Thanks." Then rushes off to the football locker room.

I sigh. I love football, but watching them practice isn't my idea of fun right now.I begin walkng to the stadium.

Once I get there, I take a seat in the stands toward the middle so I have a clear view of the field. The guys begin filing onto the field. Wait, why don't we have cheer practice today?..Oh well.

Jason comes out, and waves to me. He puts his hand to his ear making a call me sign. I cock my head to the side, then realize what he means. I go into his bag, pull out his cell phone and put my number in it. I then take a picture with me making a kissing face to put as my contact icon. Once satisfied, I put his phone back n his bag, then give a thumbs up towards the field. He smiles and gives a thumbs up back.

To the side I see Jake giving us glares. Then all of a sudden his expression becomes calm. He gives a mischievous smirk, then turns, walking away towards the huddle. That expression doesn't look good. Jason runs to join in.

I shake my head. Today's practice should be interesting.

____________________________________

Late update. More to come soon. <3 Your Author.