Chapter 26 This is how I live now

“Close your eyes.” Dr. Evans directed and I obliged; we were back to the high-tech testing room after a night’s rest. I was stuffed into a small cupboard of a room in a gleamingly white, sterile corridor for the night, starved of any human contact and collected in the morning by Heather. At least they remembered to give me food.

I was disappointed that Lynette wasn’t  here since I couldn’t ask any more questions, however she had left Heather here to supervise instead. I stole a glance at the poker-face secretary and silently pondered if she was capable of any other facial expression.

They were now onto my telepathic power, which is not the typical power processed by the de Silver family and I could see the excitement oozing out of Dr. Evans and Dr. Hobbs as we began the day.

 “Relax.” Dr. Evans added and I tried not to huff at her request. It’s not exactly easy to relax with things taped to the sides of your head and someone staring at you intensively.

“I want you to try and read my mind.” She said and I nodded. Although I had always been tentative in using my mind-reading skill due to a sense of paranoia that someone would notice and blow my cover, telepathy was still one of my most treasured secret weapons.

Forcing myself to take another deep breath I attempted to clear my mind as much as possible and lowered the wall I had around my mind. Slowly I began to pick up weak signals. Being out of practice, it took me a while to identify the one belonging to Dr. Evans. She had her defenses down (or she didn’t even had any to begin with) so it wasn’t hard at all for me to pinpoint her thoughts.

“Queen of hearts.” I said; she had conjured up an image of the card in her head. Giving me a slight nod she jotted down something on the clipboard in front of her. This kept going for another ten rounds or so before she declared that we will take a break before moving onto the next stage.

The rest of the days consisted of silly tests like blind folding me and asking me to sense the way through a maze. I wondered for the hundredth time why didn’t they just put me in a simulation room. They must have it, considering family business was much more lucrative than a school.

“Are we done?” I asked, trying not to bury my face into my hands. It felt like we were at it for hours. Dr. Evans made some mindless noises as she continued to scribble furiously into the clipboard she was holding and I stifled a sigh. With Lynette being absent today I wasn’t able to ask any questions either, which made the whole of today seem pointless.

I huffed at Dr. Evans as she ignored my question. Seriously, this whole thing was beginning to make me feel like I was only here because they were interested in my powers. Which was probably true anyway.

“When can I get out of here?” I asked, slamming my palms on the table in order to gain the doctors attention.

“As soon as the tests are done.” The doctor finally replied without looking up. Frustrated I glanced towards the other side of the room and saw that Dr. Hobbs had left and Heather was talking on her earpiece again.

“When?” I asked again, this time with more force and to my surprise Dr. Evans looked up at me.

“When we are given the orders from Lynette.” She replied, her voice was monotonous and her expression strangely blank. I blinked in surprise; that was too easy, it was almost like she was… wait, it can’t be.

I just compelled her.

For a second I almost opened my mouth and told her about it. However as Dr. Evans snapped out of the trance acting as though nothing had happened, I realized that this was the greatest advantage I had. If things turned sour, I would still be able to get out and find where Tom and everyone else were.