Chapter 6 Crossroads

Fred’s sharp intake of breath and the confused expressions on everyone else’s faces told me that Fred had known something about this all along. This would explain his strange behaviors back in the forest. Natalie gave him a concerned look whilst I narrowed my eyes at him. That guy is always hording information from us. Jerk.

“Judging from your expressions I guess most of you are not from a POE family.” Nirmal continued with a small smile, like she was expecting it. “Which is normal, since most of the students in the Academy are newly discovered POEs. Usually when the children inherit their parent’s power he or she will be trained by them, and over time the family grows.”

Hearing this felt like a missing puzzle had finally been solved in my head. I had always wondered about the future of POEs and how the numbers doesn’t seem to increase as much as it should be, since mutations are likely to be passed on. I looked at Fred again; he was from a POE family too, why did his parents sent him to the Academy?

“Usually, newly discovered POEs are kept away from the POE world.” Nirmal continued. “Mostly to give them time to horn their power, but also not to frighten them. Those who attend that know about it are asked to be discrete and not to recruit new POEs before they graduate.”

She looked meaningfully at Fred whose mouth twitched in respond. Natalie held onto his arms comfortingly and he gave her a small smile. It was still a little weird seeing the soft side of Fred when he interacts with Natalie. The image of him being the big bad guy is pretty solid in my head.

“Katarina told you that Abigail would come. Why?” Tom asked, going straight to the point. I frowned at the rude tone of his voice, however Nirmal didn’t seemed to notice, or she didn’t care. She went behind her desk and fished out a thick journal, one that looked very familiar…

“That’s mine! How come you have it?” I exclaimed; it was the notebook that Mr. Andrewson had given me on all the mental’s abilities. The one that I left behind in my room in POE Academy. So she must know Mr. Andrewson too!

“I was asked to deliver this to you.” She said, handing me the journal which I all but snatched from her and held it tightly against my chest. This will change everything – I can train myself better and able to protect myself and everyone around me. “And also a message.”

“A message?” I echoed, startle by her last sentence. She nodded and gesture for us to seat down again whilst sitting on her desk herself. This time we oblige, mainly because it’s polite and also because of the seriousness in Nirmal’s brown eyes.

“You have survived for three months in the wilderness. You were lucky you even get fifty miles.” Nirmal said bluntly, her words hitting me like a brick wall. “The world outside the walls of Citybase is a dangerous place, not only because of Legres, but of the bounty hunters and mercenaries. It was one of the main reasons you were kept close to the Academy and shield from the knowledge until you have full control of your powers. There are people out there who are aware of the value and potential a POE has and some will stop at nothing to get their hands on us; to use us and to exploit us. Three months ago the attack at the Classification test was suspect to be led by a group aiming to make profit out of new POEs. You were the only group known to have escaped the scene. About two thirds of your classmates were captured, one fifth was saved from the exercise by reinforcements and the rest are either missing or died in the battle.”

I felt like someone had just slapped me at the face in full force. I had little time to think about what happened to my fellow classmates when we were on the run; however I knew that I was just trying to avoid thinking about it. I could hear gasps from the others as the news sank in; everyone I knew who went on the test flashed through my mind. Elise! Oh my god I hope she is alright!