Chapter 19 Chances

You are a human. Its words played again and again in my mind, but I quickly got a hold of myself.

Yes. And you are a Legre. I sent a message back. The Lupa bowed its head and its foreleg dig a little into the ground in front of it as if it too was surprised at the turn of events.

Your kind kills us. Finally it got back to me; I could see it in my mind with its glistering red eyes and silvery-grey furs rising up. You are not to be trusted.

How do we prove ourselves to you? I asked earnestly and the Legre howled; I could tell that it was some kind of signal to the main pack. My body tensed as I contemplated whether we should just make a run for it. It’s strange, they are a Class D and the Felixia blanc and Ursidae are Class C, how could I communicate with them so much more clearly than I did than with the Class C?

“Ga…Gwen.” Tom opened his mouth and quickly covered up his mistake. “What is happening?” He added, gently shaking me by the shoulders.

“I, er.” I stuttered, trying to think of something that I could say and decided to just say it. “I am communicating with the Lupas.” I finally spluttered out and the looks I got from them were hysterical. I would have laughed if I wasn’t concentrating on maintaining the strange mind connection with the beast.

“What do you mean?” Jeremy asked, his eyes bulging out of its sockets. I wanted to answer but I was checking the Lupas’ activities and couldn’t muster up a coherent sentence. I heard them arguing in the background and felt someone tapped me on the shoulder.

“Ga..wen.” Tom said, nearly blowing the cover again earning a glare from me. “Would you please explain this?”

“There is no time.” I said, pushing them forward. I still had no respond from the Lupas and I was getting a little worried. We might as well move slowly. “Start walking.”

Despite the bombardment of questions they continued to throw at me, we began moving at a normal walking pace away from the Legres. Sweats started to bead down my forehead as the pack of Lupas abandoned the Leporids and moved towards us. Holy crap, what have I done?

Trying to stay calm I told myself that maybe they were just being friendly. Friendly my butt, who the heck get all its gang together and run towards another to be friendly.

“I will explain this later.” I added as Tom open his mouth to speak again and he abruptly closed his mouth and gave me a pointed look. I sighed and tried to send another message towards the Lupa but it ignored it.

“Since when are you a telepath as well?” Kailey asked, twisting her head back as she fired questions at me. “I thought you could only do mind-sensing as well as telekinesis.”

Everyone was staring at me accusingly, but not in a mean way, maybe with the exception Emily. Tom was looking at me with the strangest face, as if he was finally figuring out something. I sighed again, what was I supposed to say?

“I have always been a telepath.” I admitted earning another round of questions which I ignored. “ I didn’t realized that I could communicate with Legres until the now.”

“You did it before.” Tom suddenly exclaimed silencing everyone and all eyes were on him; but he didn’t seemed to notice as he clasped his hands together like he had just solved a puzzle that had been bothering him for a long time. “That time, when Owen stayed behind, the Lupas went away and I never understood; and the Ursidae and Felixia blanc, you made them fight each other!”

My mouth was agape as I thought back to the incidents Tom mentioned; both times I was fervently hoping and unconsciously projecting my thoughts, maybe that’s why the Lupas backed off so mysteriously.