Chapter 4 - Cheated

“Hey, that’s not how to treat a lady,” a voice said from behind them. Nathan and Lu looked to see who was there and squinted their eyes to see through the darkness. “I said that’s not how to treat a lady.” Luna was surprised on how gentle and stern his voice was.

“And who are you to talk to me, the most wanted man here,” Nathan asked irritably. Luna felt his grip loosen and quickly pulled her and out of his grasp. Yes! She was able to run away from until… “Hey!” Nathan caught up to her and grabbed her by the waist.

“Let go,” screamed Lu. She kept squirming around until she didn't feel his hand anymore. Luna stopped and saw Nathan on the ground, face down. She then looked up to see a man with his fist clenched. She saw his appearance and couldn’t stop staring. He had most beautiful bluish-gray eyes she’d even seen. She snapped back to reality realizing her delivery. “Uh thanks,” Lu blushed as she started to pick up the strawberries she dropped.

“Yeah. Just be careful. You made me late. So, ciao,” he said as he walked away. Rude. Couldn’t even help me just a bit more.  Luna picked up the last one and walked in the same direction the man did. She knew she had to hurry because of Madam Rica’s temper. Luna ran until she saw the man and kept her distance behind him. She begged for him to turn to a different direction.

He stopped walking and faced her. “Hey. Are you following me,” he asked.

“No!  We just happened to headed in the same direction.” Luna again saw his eyes and was in a trance. Beautiful.

“Fine”

She snapped back. “What?”

“You can walk right next to me.”

“I didn’t say anyt-“

“You didn’t have to. Your expression said it all,” he smirked.

Luna’s eyebrows furrowed. She didn’t want to stand next to him at all but nevertheless walked right up to him. As they walked, Luna kept her distance making sure he couldn’t see her blushing face.

“So where are you going,” he said breaking the silence.

“I’m off to deliver these strawberries,” she said while trying to keep her concentration on the road.

“That’s funny. I’m off to buy some strawberries for myself.”

Luna stopped walking. “Wait, where are you headed to,” she asked, “don’t tell me you’re going to-”

“Madam Rica,” they said in unison.

“What,” screamed Luna. “How much are you paying her for these?”

“Hmmm…ten silver coins,” he said.

“What?! She said she would buy these for more than five!” Luna was furious. Someone was trying to make a profit from her strawberries. They finally reached the house. “Stay here and hide. Don’t let her see you until I’m done,” she commanded.

Luna walked up to the door and knocked.  The door opened and she said, “Well hello there Madam Rica. I’ve brought you the strawberries you asked for.” Luna presented herself as innocent as possible. She watched as Madam Rica snorted. Luna couldn’t even bear to look at her face but she did and saw how heavy and overbearing make up. Luna may have been a noble’s daughter and didn’t know much about make up but she knew that it wasn’t supposed to look that horrible on someone.

“Well it’s about time! You’re lucky I’m still willing to pay for it,” Madam Rica grabbed the basket.”Here are your pieces of silver. Now go!”